Sunday, May 8, 2016

I Can't Believe it's REAL Butter

My family isn't a margarine kind of family. We stick to butter and oils for cooking. Unless it's fudge. My favorite fudge recipe only works with margarine! But I digress...

We recently started buying raw milk from a local farm. I got brave one day and decided to try to make my own butter. It is really dorky how excited I got doing this but I'm comfortable with my dorkiness so I shall share with you the process!


Step One: Skim the cream off the top. It is thick, like Elmer's glue! I ladle it into clean jars that have screw-on lids, like this Prego jar. I also use Mason jars.

Side note: When you get your milk home let it sit for a couple of days. The cream will separate to the top. I always have 1-2 inches of cream when I give it time to settle after being jostled about on it's journey to my house. Can you see the cream at the top of jar on the right?! Our milk comes in these big, big glass jars and it's always so full that milk is dribbling down the sides. It is OK if you get milk in the cream mixture. It will happen and won't harm anything. But do try to get as much cream in there as you can.


Step Two: Shake, shake, shake!

Side note: For best results, let the cream come to room temp, or close to it. Fresh out of the fridge will mean it's so cold that it'll take longer to form butter. Some people put their cream in the blender and let the blender do the work. We just shake the jar. Takes us about 20-30 minutes. When you start to see the butter curds, like above picture, it's time for step three...



Step Three: Strain and rinse.

Side note: Strain the excess milk off and reserve for buttermilk pancakes or biscuits or whatever. Place butter in a bowl and begin the rinsing process until water runs clear (it helps to pop the butter in the fridge to allow it to firm up as it'll be super soft and warm). Basically you're going to knead the butter with a spoon. Carefully run some cool water over the butter and use a spoon to press into the butter. Drain off the water and keep repeating until the water runs clear and you've removed as much liquid from butter as you can. YouTube videos may be your friend here. My photo above is halfway through the rinsing process so the water is almost clear.



Step Four: ENJOY! We had homemade banana bread on hand. It was absolutely heavenly.


Making butter is so much easier than I thought it would be. It takes a lot of cream to get a decent amount of butter. We only yielded a few tablespoons each time we've made butter.

Our butter looks whipped and soft (and it was). Popping it in the fridge will turn it solid, like store-bought butter. It can keep for maybe a week, but it may not stick around that long, ha!

1 comment:

Real D Hop said...

Rule #1: Butter makes it better.