Thursday, November 5, 2015

Fixer Upper

We have been working on our house exterior since March of this year. Replaced wood rot, scraped and painted and replaced the roof. Our house was built in 1909. We've had a lot of things we've had to fix, upgrade and replace on this old house. The exterior was no exception! So let's go on a little journey... you get to see it all in one post but it took months (and a LOT of tears on my part) to get from this first pic to the last!

STEP ONE:
Replace wood rot.


Unfortunately these guys didn't hang the gutters back up correctly after they replaced rotted wood. Wood that rotted due to poorly hung gutters. So if you recall this was a very wet year for the Midwest. It rained almost an entire month after we got the wood replaced. I bawled my eyes out every time because water would leak between the gutter and house and it would leak into the house. The new wood itself did look good and all ended up being well! Just wish they had hung the gutters up better.


STEP TWO: Scrape and paint!
Colors are Lagoon and Alabaster (Sherwin Williams)



The painters started in September when Thea was one-week-old, giving us only a few hours notice that they would begin work. Daniel started a new job where he was up all night. I was up all night with the baby. Painters started early, right as the sun came up, for 10 business days. Due to lead paint I actually took all six kids over to my in-laws' house for the first couple days while scraping was done. It was insane!

I was so nervous when I saw just the blue on the house with all the old brown trim. But the white trim started balancing it all out. This paint company was overpriced and underwhelming, very sloppy. We complained and got some money off but overall I would not recommend the company. I'm going to have to fix some things on the first level. I hate hiring people to do work, have I ever mentioned that? The end result is still beautiful overall...

Ta da!

STEP THREE: Roofing

Our roof was 100% free to us and they did a phenomenal I-can't-complain job. Funnily enough we had issues with the contractors who replaced the rotted wood and the painters, both of which were paid by us. Go figure! I assume their good job was due to the fact that the city inspector inspects the work when they're done. Can't beat free and can't beat a job that is done well.

So how was the roof free?! I saw that a grant was available for weatherization and roofing on our city website. I applied to have our roof replaced. We were approved!

The city sent out their professional inspector and he measured everything and wrote up the work order. The city hired the roofers and paid them from the grant money. We picked out our shingle color (dark charcoal) from a limited selection. Roofers came out the week after the painters left and got the old roof removed and the new one laid in just three days. They kicked butt and our roof looks amazing! They caulked, put in new flashing, and properly replaced rotted wood around the chimney stack where it would leak (the contractor we hired and paid to do that, back at Step One, didn't do it right and it still leaked).

I was so ecstatic for the first rain to fall after the roofers were done. I had to wait several days and finally it rained... and NO LEAKS. Roofs are so expensive. We would never have been able to afford it after all the other work we had done. I am so grateful for the grant. I am grateful that I don't have leaks inside anymore. If the roofers hadn't come and done the work, fixed the gutters... we'd be causing more damage and making more expensive fixes later on. THANK YOU ROOFERS!


BEFORE AND AFTER:


If you've followed me for a long time then you know we've been waiting for this moment for several years. She's finally painted up and all pretty! The porch needs attention but at least the major, major work is done.

3 comments:

Kaye Torgerson said...

I know I haven't been around here lately, but catching up now. The house looks AMAZING. Sorry about the shoddy work that was done early in the process and glad that not only was your roof free to you, but that your roofers repaired some of the previous shoddy work. I know you must be thrilled with the final results!

Vixbil said...

Wow it looks amazing and I know how long you guys have been wanting to do this xxx yay xxx

Pleasance Faast said...

I have to admit Joy that when I saw your post I was instantly attracted to those pictures. I own a bed and breakfast inn that was built the same year, and it is definitely a labor of love. We did the same thing as you, rolled up our sleeves and got rid of the wood rot, painted, then upgraded the roof. Cheers to a great job!

Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roof