Tuesday, June 10, 2014

DONE

A week after my broken molar was extracted I went back to the dental school. I almost chickened out. But the night before I was in so much pain I had to speak like a ventriloquist (without moving my mouth). The wisdom tooth has been out of the gum for a long time but the swelling from the lower molar removal was making all my teeth hurt on the left side of my face because everything was being compressed together. So a week after I had one tooth extracted I got another extracted. It was honestly instant relief. My teeth stopped feeling overcrowded in a snap!

After all that dental drama my Abigail got a bloody nose like I've never seen a bloody nose before. I mean she's gotten them before and they're like a faucet and she looks like she was part of a crime scene afterward. What I mean is this one would NOT stop. For over an hour! Her hands and arms were covered in blood and it was a steady pour every time we'd change out Kleenex. We used almost an entire Kleenex box.

I took her (and all the kids because Daddy was hours away) to the ER. I felt chastised by the ER doctor that "this is normal" and I was wasting their time. She told me it was just allergies and that I wasn't pinching her nose right and to tilt Abbie's head BACK (um, no). Overall just a weird experience. My main concern was Abbie losing too much blood. We have a natural treatment plan to deal with the allergies now that we're confident that is why she has them.

Well not only did I pick up a big bill from the ER... all of us picked up some nasty respiratory flu virus. I've been battling and battling it with oils and they help but we're still fighting. My voice is pretty scary after all this coughing. The congestion started the night before I was to go to the gym for the first time since my husband signed us up as members. I had already missed several workout days I had scheduled out for myself because of the oral surgeries.

I woke up on my workout day feeling pretty good, headed out the door to the gym before anyone else in the house had woken up, got my ID badge when I got there and started feeling this cough at the back of my throat. I did 10 measly minutes, though with strong resistance and a fast face, on the stationary bike before I hopped off and couldn't stop coughing. I've been coughing ever since and I'm READY TO BE DONE.

I'm done with being in pain. Done with being sick. Done with all of it so I can be done with being overweight. And I'm sure done with whining about it. Tomorrow is my workout day again (Daniel and I take turns each morning so one is home with the kids, of course) and I'm not going to be able to go unless a miracle happens.

The silver lining in all of this is that I lost 7 lbs already without effort. Well I guess it did take great effort (and courage because I almost chickened out going to the dentist both times) but not the working out, sweating kind of effort. More like the "I had surgery twice in one week and then got a nasty flu virus" kind of effort.

7 lbs down. 66 more lbs to go.
I was 135 lbs when my husband met me.
I'm just under 5'3" so my recommended weight is actually 120 lbs.
But 135 is the goal and a healthy weight!

Part of weight loss is making better food choices. I already try to avoid as much processed foods as possible. But I was skipping breakfast and sometimes even lunch. NOT eating is just as bad as eating too much or the wrong things.

So smoothies with fresh fruit, vegetables and Greek yogurt are my breakfast many mornings. Eating breakfast has always been hard for me but I can get drinks down. I'm making homemade granola (so easy and so much cheaper than store-bought!) as well for yogurt parfaits.

Trying to eat more eggs. I'm already a huge veggie lover so roasted veggies are already part of my diet. It's honestly really making sure I don't skip meals, eat the right things for those meals and don't forget the protein.

2 comments:

Amy Faulkner said...

I feel the same way every time I go to the ER about something, like I'm wasting their time if I'm not actively trying to kill over and die. Ugh. We battled some similar sickness in our household, which is much smaller than yours. Praying for a speedier recovery for you and yours.

JoyBelle said...

Thanks Amy! We all came out of the flu and I was able to get back to the gym for the first time this week, woo hoo!