Monday, April 21, 2014

The Day the Baby Fell Down the Stairs

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my studio which is on our second story. The hallway outside is square shape so I can easily see my bedroom door and the bathroom door when sitting in my studio. As I got to work on some jewelry orders I left the door open so the baby and his siblings could play in my view and safely.

That is until one of my children, who knows how to open the gate at the top of the stairs, decided she was going to run downstairs to the first floor bathroom... and she didn't close the gate behind her.

Right from my studio I saw the baby make a beeline for the stairs where his sissy went. For a second I thought nothing of it. And then my body reacted before my mind caught up. I jumped up, throwing everything I was holding and took a few steps out my studio right to the top of the stairs as I heard the thud.

My. Baby. Fell. Down. The. Stairs!
Right in front of me!

I did everything you're not supposed to do. I screamed! I raced down to him and grabbed him. He screamed. I yelled. I checked him over expecting blood, a broken neck... something!

To my surprise he was absolutely fine. He got the tiniest little bump on his forehead that you could barely see. But my mind is seared with the image of him lying face down on the stair landing (we do not have carpeted stairs and the wooden steps are not rounded at the edge either, ouch!).

I think my body shook for a solid hour from adrenaline, my heart wouldn't stop pounding. My daughter got the sternest talking to of her life, though she felt so guilty I doubt she'd needed it.

And of course I did what every mother does when something happens and you realize it's not an immediate emergency. I know what danger signs to look for from bumps on the head (blacking out, vomiting, lethargy, etc.) so I knew he wasn't in danger. But I still needed to know what I should do just in case. And while Dr. Google is the worst doctor out there sometimes you really do find valuable information. Such as: when babies fall down the stairs they actually mostly roll so it is rare for them to break a bone or have a severe injury. Of course always watch for danger signs but more often than not a tumble down the stairs does more pain to the parents than to the child. And you'd be surprised just how many parents out there have been in this position and the tremendous guilt one feels when it happens.

So that is the story of the day Silas fell down the stairs. I just kept thanking God (and still thanking Him) that my baby is alright! Please speak to older children and tell them this story so that they also remember to close any baby gates they open. I tell my kids, "If you open it then you need to close it!" so that they get in the habit of just doing it without thinking about it. I tell them it doesn't matter if I'm holding him or he's in the crib or anything. *ALWAYS* close the gate!

1 comment:

Susan Sene said...

Oh man!!! So scary! So very glad he was ok!!