Saturday, January 12, 2013

Nesting in Spurts

Sometimes I don't know what day of the week it is. To my delight I realized today was Saturday, no school! Not that I don't like school but at this age I have to sit with the kids and, well, teach! Which means less time to keep my house in tip-top shape.

I woke up feeling good today, just a smidge of nausea that I thwarted with a piece of bread (delicious!). From there it was Organizing City. Cleaning all the "hot spots" I could, as the FlyLady calls them (you know - the piles that form in miscellaneous corners, dresser tops, shelves, etc.). Got to a point that I looked at something and said, "I'm REALLY not going to do anything with this" (sorry Pinterest!) and then tossing it or putting in a donation bag. I'm just DONE with the STUFF. I don't even know where most of it comes from because we have two constantly overflowing recycle bins (and we need a third!) and I'm constantly purging the house. It's never-ending!

Scrubbed my fridge (doggies rub up against it when they come inside from outdoors and this has been a muddy week = muddy fridge). Oh did I tell you about my fridge? It's so pretty. It's new because our family is so large that our first fridge had no space for anything! I really wanted a French-style but our budget was more suited to a side-by-side at this time. And it has filtered water and ice maker. I've never had a nicer kitchen appliance and never one that gave me water and ice with a push of a button. So weird what delights us when we're adults and mothers.

Now here's the coolest part. I actually entrusted my husband to go to the store and pick out the fridge by himself. I'm so impressed. I know he was nervous trying to find something that would work for us and please me because he delights in making me happy (sometimes, ha!).

I put the kids to work with me, cleaning the house. I'm a firm believer in families working together. Moms should not automatically assume the role of maid, that is not fair to her (or to the Dads who stay home). Sometimes I feel guilty, like my kids should spend more time being kids but honestly it doesn't take that long for them to feed the pets or put away their laundry. They have PLENTY of time to "be kids" and to learn that their place in the family is important and needed (everyone wants to feel needed! Sometimes my kids even fight over who gets to do a chore, lucky me!).

I attribute the fact that they like to clean, for the most part (ha ha - they do put up a stink sometimes if they are not in the mood, just as anybody would), because I've established chores with them since they were toddlers. They don't know anything else. Which reminds me of something else. The other day Elaina took a huge swig of cold water and said, "Water is my FAVORITE!" My kids don't drink soda, juice, etc. Since they were little they've had milk or water. Juice is a rare treat and is always a good juice, not the pure-sugar-Kool-Aid-stuff (but man oh man doesn't that sound good sometimes?! LOL! That's what I grew up on!). I try to keep OJ in the fridge now though. Aldi's sells one that is pure OJ not from concentrate so I get that. It is really delicious!

Okay back to the topic at hand....................


So I armed Elaina and Abigail with a Magic Eraser each and had them scrub their bedroom walls. They thought it would be a great idea to color all over the walls I painted special for them.

EDITED TO ADD: if you or anyone uses Magic Erasers be sure to wear gloves due to the chemicals in the erasers. I found this out after having my daughters clean with them. They're not going to spontaneously combust but I try to limit our exposure to chemicals as much as I can, as often as I can.

Elaina also washed windows (I use Seventh Generation so more kid-friendly than other brands), including the one in our bathroom with the foggy white stuff on the glass panes to keep peepers from watching us pee or shower. DOH! Going to have to get that remedied fast.

Abigail caused the toilet to overflow so I got the lovely task of cleaning up the entire bathroom from top-to-bottom (not like it wasn't screaming to be cleaned beforehand anyway but the overflow definitely gave me the motivation to kick my butt into gear!).

Zoe was tasked to clean her room (she's 3) so I could vacuum. I vacuumed two levels. I didn't make it to the third level. Was pulled in so many directions to get other things done.

Judah followed me around screeching and throwing toys. He will learn... in time. I've been working on having him put toys in his toy basket when we're done playing. He likes to throw them. Needless to say I still do most of it but we're getting there.

And I got a ton of homeschool papers filed and put where they go, cleaned off two of my bookcases (I have several, ha!), went through a ton of samples and papers in the kitchen, cleaned off my dresser (can we say my jewelry business finds its way there...) and cleaned out our medicine cabinet (ewww there was a ton of expired stuff, one from 2010!).


I'd like to say this is a typical Saturday but honestly I got so much done today than I have in a long time that I'm amazed. I once heard that a woman's home is a reflection of her heart. A woman in turmoil may find her home in turmoil whereas a woman in peace may find that reflected in her home. Of course it's never so black-and-white but I have found that quote to be true for ME personally. When I find my home getting bogged down I have such a strong urge to purge.

Feeling blessed and ready to tackle the next project!

1 comment:

The Mommy said...

You sound SO much like me! I love to clean, but sometimes life gets in the way! Like you said, I LOVE homeschooling, but a day without it feels so free!