Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Officially Crib-Free!

Zoë is now out of the crib totally! Two days ago we finished setting up her new room. We all stood around her bed for family prayer and good-nights. Zoë excitedly sat on her bed, flanked on each side by her big sisters. But the moment she realized big sisters weren't going to be joining her she got scared and upset.

I felt so bad for her! She kept whispering, "Lana, Lana" for Elaina and when she realized Elaina wasn't coming back downstairs for her she started to fervently whisper to me, "Downstairs, pwease, Mommy! Pwease!" She just didn't want to be left alone... and because her big sisters have shared a room she feels left out.

So I put her in the crib that night. It was too overwhelming for her. I decided to try naptime the next day (yesterday) and she was still upset and managed to get the door open AND come downstairs to find me so back up we went. Second time was a charm and she stayed in her room and the bed for her nap! I think it being daylight and not so dark helped put away some tension and fears about the new room. When she woke up she was SO proud of herself and excited.

Last night was Take 2 of putting her in the big bed for bedtime and she got upset a little but calmed down after maybe 2 minutes. For the past several months she had been throwing major fits at bedtime and would cry or yell for about 10-15 minutes. It didn't matter if I put her down awake or asleep. She just doesn't like being alone. It was hard on us all and I was hoping going to the new room and feeling like a big girl in the different bed would help... and it has!

First night in big girl bed - taken several minutes after she fell asleep!

Tonight was even better. She got in bed, got tucked in and stayed there, told me good-night and only got upet when I walked downstairs to grab my glass of water and paintbrush (I started baby boy's room tonight). By the time I was coming back up the stairs 30 seconds later she was quietly talking to herself to help her go to sleep.

I'm so proud of her! Surprisingly I'm not sad or emotional about it. I'm not that emotional anyway (didn't cry when Elaina went to school, didn't cry when cutting Abigail's hair for the first time, didn't cry when they were born, etc.). Or I guess I should say I respond differently than crying. I get excited and happy! I guess that's why my name is Joy. I'm excited for her to feel like such a big girl!

Those wondering - Zoë is 22-months-old. Elaina was even younger when she went to her big girl bed and I think Abigail was older.

9 comments:

juliane2004 said...

What made you choose now? My daughter is 22 months old this coming weekend and is still in her crib, not climbing out or anything.

I'm not sure when to transition her....

BrandiH said...

I'm kind of scared for the transition. Lillian will be 28 months this month and she still sleeps happily in her crib and has never even attempted to climb out. I'll have to be making the transition soon though because I don't know if I want her associating that change with the new baby.

Can't wait to see baby boys room!

The Mommy said...

Both of my girls had a crib that converted to a "day bed" and we did that before the big girl bed, but neither ever had a toddler bed with the rails on the side. I think it is GREAT that she will already be in the big bed when her baby brother arrives. I think having to transition from crib to bed after a new baby arrives might be too much.
Great job, Joy! Her room is cute, cute, cute!

Kathryn said...

WHERE did you get that owl painting above her bed. Love it!

Mel said...

That is so awesome!! Glad she is happily making the transition. We did L right at her 2nd birthday and made a huge big special deal out of it and she just did so amazingly well, I couldn't believe it. They look so PRECIOUS and little in the big girl beds. I love it.

We have the owl picture in our playroom! Love it!

*~Chelsea~* said...

Glad she's enjoying it and the process wasn't that tough after the first few days for you guys! What a big girl! :)

Kahla said...

She is precious! So tiny in that bed too. Chase stayed in his crib until he was three because he was content and happy, I think we'll do the same with Emery. She's 22 months tomorrow. Can't wait to see baby boy's room!

Kaye said...

So excited for you guys and for her! Great job, Zoe!

And all of the kids' rooms are adorable. I can't wait to see the little man's room!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

Way to go, Zoe! Trevor is still in his crib and will be for a while, I think. He sleeps so well in there and moves a ton.

I read the previous post and the girls rooms look AWESOME! You are quite the decorator! I cant wait to see #4's room!