Tuesday, August 23, 2011

36 weeks - The Homestretch

Okay so I think I was actually 34-35 weeks in this picture but you get the idea! I'm a petite lady with a big ol' baby belly.


So I'm 36-week tomorrow (Wed)!!! I'm finally in the last month. I can't believe it. I feel like time has just flown by. His room is almost done! I'm waiting for my mom-in-law to get back from her vacation to help me hang the wall decor and then we're done. She's great at hanging things and I am not.

Okay so there's also been a change of plan in the birth front. We've gone back-and-forth and have been all over the place. Originally we were with midwives at the hospital but we decided an out-of-hospital birth is what would be appropriate for us. So we switched to a birth center but that center ended up closing after I had one prenatal visit with them. From there I was at a loss. I searched for midwives, including home birth midwives and I found an affordable one after others telling me they wanted hundreds of dollars or were booked for the month I was due.

Well affordable doesn't always mean it's going to be the right fit. Last you heard I was going to have a home birth with this midwife but things happened that made both Daniel and I very uncomfortable.

Vague enough?

I don't really want to say anything specific but I will just say that our philosophies and beliefs didn't line up and we didn't feel comfortable having her in our home and on one of the most important day of our lives.

So from there I realize that the midwife I originally wanted back when we were at the other birth center (she founded that birth center but a different midwife had taken over; she was no longer there) had founded and was opening a new birth center. She's also a Christian and a missionary midwife. Cue excited shrieking!

I'm with the midwife I had wanted earlier in my pregnancy and while it isn't going to be a home birth I know that a birth center is a great alternative. She even wrote a book recently and a percentage of sales helps to improve maternity conditions in other countries. You can buy her book All Babies are Born if you click on the title.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

Does it seem like this pregnancy has flown by? Mine does! I'm still 7 weeks behind you though. I'll be 29 weeks tomorrow. I'm glad you found a birth center that you're excited about!!

BrandiH said...

Wow! I can't believe you are already 36 weeks!
I'm glad you have found a midwife you feel comfortable with. My belief is that no matter where you have the baby, being comfortable with the person delivering is most important.

The Mommy said...

This pregnancy has flown by! You look great- I'd been wondering if you'd post any pictures of that belly.
I am SO glad that your birth plan is lining up. Can't wait to hear his birth story!

Photogrl said...

Eeeek! You're in the home stretch!

Glad to hear the birthing plan is coming together...I'm excited for the little guy to arrive!

*~Chelsea~* said...

You look so beautiful, Joysters! :-) I'm so glad you found a birth solution you are comfortable with. I can't wait for little man's arrival!!!

Kristen said...

So glad you finally have a birth plan/team that you feel comfortable with! That's so important!

You look fantastic!

The Mommy said...

It seems like just yesterday that you announced you were pregnant! Tim flies! I can't wait to see his sweet face and hear all about your birth experience. Take care of yourself!!