Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Very, Very Special Day!

On March 23, 2007 I went to bed with contractions that were still a little too far apart to rush to the hospital. I went to bed in anticipation, hoping to be woken up with my water breaking or with contractions that were intense enough to let me know 'it was time'! I woke up to the latter.

I called the on-call doctor and he told me to go on to labor and delivery. I decided to take a shower first and when I told Daniel the doctor said it was time for us to go in he started running around like a headless chicken. He didn't know what he was doing and finally remembered to call his parents to take Elaina.

I was too excited to eat anything (in retrospect that would have been a really bad move; EAT before you go or take protein bars with you if you're not giving birth at home!). We hopped in the car and off we went. I invited my mother-in-law to Abigail's birth so she followed in her own car.

When I arrived at the hospital I was put in bed with an IV and the monitors around my belly, BP cuff which was so uncomfortable to me. Being on my back in labor is the worst and deprives baby of oxygen, puts pressure on the spine, etc.. I was breathing really well through the contractions but asked for the epidural anyway. I was too scared to give birth without the epidural. They put me on Pitocin as well, without consent.

Abigail - 4 yrs old

I ended up vomiting about 5 times in labor, which I contribute to the epidural and Pitocin along with not eating anything, though women who have neither epi or Pit can vomit in labor as well. That's just my personal feeling about my experience. Anyway the doctor broke my water at some point and three hours later I was pushing. The epidural was wearing off so I could feel a little bit. I was on my back pushing with nurses yelling to hold my breath while counting to ten. My baby girl was born very purple and screaming.


I held her for a few seconds before they took her and began washing her at the sink. When I got her back she just cried and cried but it was a different cry. It sounded different, she sounded like she was in pain. My mother-in-law thought so as well and whispered to a nurse that Abigail seemed to be crying like she was in pain and the nurse brushed her off. The next day we found out Abby's collarbone broke during delivery when the pediatrician came in to check her out...


Despite her traumatic birth she ended up being the most joyous baby you'd ever meet. Always smiling, always happy, always content. She didn't want to co-sleep and ended up sleeping in her own bed, through the night, at 2-months old. She made me want a dozen more babies like her! She was also a wiggly little thing; always kicking her feet. She did this really funny thing as a baby where she'd purse her lips and spit! I called it her "duck lips" because her lips looked the a duck's bill.

Always smiling and happy

Happy 1st Birthday

Easter 2008

Abigail looks just like Daddy!

4th of July 2009


Abigail, 
You are the joy of my heart. Your laughter is contagious and comes from your toes! I love all the silly things you say and come up with though when you argue with me I'm reminded of another ornery little girl (me!). You may look just like your Daddy but your personality, your imagination, your joy reminds me of me as an innocent little girl. I love eavesdropping on you when you're playing and talking to your "babies" and imaginary friends. I love how you pray!
 
You were a content baby and you're [often] a content child. When you get excited you scream so loud it pieces my ears! And when you're happy you laugh so hard your little body shakes. You're very compliant most of the time and eager-to-please but sometimes you have some sassy attitude, ha ha! I don't think you ever do it intentionally. You probably pick up your sassyness from watching and listening to your Momma!

You're already so smart! You picked up the alphabet and colors really fast. You also started talking sooner than your sisters at just 7 months old BUT you took your time learning to crawl and to walk because you were just so laid back with life.  You are entering a completely new phase - from baby to toddler and now to preschooler. And I cannot wait to see how you blossom and grow.

I will always love you, always have my arms open to you. You'll forever be my baby. Forever...

Love,
Mommy

Happy Birthday, Abigail!
March 24, 2011

7 comments:

Kaysha said...

Aw, happy birthday! I hope she has a wonderful day!

BrandiH said...

Happy Birthday! How scary she broke her collar bone. Glad it didn't tramatize her!

The Mommy said...

Babies can survive traumatic births and mommies can too!
Happy Birthday to Abigail!

Becky said...

Happy Birthday Abigail!!!

Twinside Out said...

Happy Birthday Abigail!

(How scary with the broken collarbone!! So glad she's ok!)

Kristin said...

What a cutie! What do they do for them when they break their collarbone? Poor baby!

Kristen said...

Happy birthday Abigail!