Saturday, January 22, 2011

Coffee

I think the only time in my life I was a coffee drinker was when I was a child and they had free coffee at church. My little brother and I would sneak some in a Styrofoam cup and top it off with loads of sugar and water from the fountain. As I grew and stopped attending church with my mom I stopped my little Sunday binge of watered-down sugar coffee.

And then entered Mommyhood. I've had the occasional Starbucks as a young adult and woman but the steep prices mean it's a rare treat for me. And I usually get the frappucinos anyway. My husband usually just drinks coffee at work and thus concludes that we never have coffee in our house...

Except every Christmas someone gives my husband coffee.

The past years I enjoyed smelling the grounds (seriously they smell SO good) but left the drinking to my hubby. And then several weeks ago he made a pot... and I made a cup... and I realized how wired it made me feel.................... and I realized WHY parents need this stuff.

It's addictive. Seriously. And it tastes so good. I like mine with two spoons of sugar and 1/4 of my cup is creamer so it is more of a milky, sweet drink. I hate the bitter taste of the grounds but add a little creamer and it is delicious.

This is probably no news to you but to a young mom who is an insomniac and gets up before dawn it is huge news! It all makes so much sense now. And if I ever ridiculed, teased or made fun of you for drinking coffee like your very life depended on it to make it through the day I humbly bow before you in forgiveness!

Now someone just needs to explain to Daniel he can't make the coffee in the evening but in the morning!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Lol! Sounds like something I need to take up then! :)

The Mommy said...

I LOVE coffee no matter what time of day it is! I often have a cup an hour before bed and the caffeine doesn't bother me a bit. Mine is sweet and a little milky too!

Anne Elizabeth said...

Glad you've finally been converted. ;) On the mornings I don't get my coffee I feel like it takes me twice as long to get things done. I honestly don't know what I would do without it. Which may sound bad, but the boys don't sleep through the night yet so I am so tired all the time. Scratch that... I am BEYOND tired all the time, and the coffee helps me stay awake. You have to try some of the new flavored creamer my mom got! Tell D to get some decaf for nighttime. Then you can have it in caffeinated in the morning AND decaf at night.

Ella said...

Ha! Too funny - I could have written this post. I've recently started drinking coffee, too! I never thought I'd be a coffee drinker, but mommyhood changed that right quick! Now I totally understand WHY people drink it. But I'm like you - I like it with sugar and lots of milk, because really, I don't think I actually like the taste of the stuff!

Twinside Out said...

Hi Joy!

It's Jennifer from Hope Endures. I am back at my computer again, yay!! This babies-actually-napping-at-the-same-time thing is amazing. ;)

Mmmm...coffee!! I recently picked up the habit again after almost three years on the wagon. Lots of sugar and almond milk...so good! I would not survive without it these days.

I'm excited to catch up with your blog again! I can't believe how big Zoe is now. They grow so fast!!