Thursday, September 30, 2010

One month away from a birthday bash!

Someone is having a birthday party in exactly one month! Can you guess who?! Why surely NOT Zoë! But yes it is true. The baby is now about to enter toddlerhood. Her party is going to be autumn-themed with bowls of hearty, homemade potato soup, homemade rolls and pumpkin cupcakes.

Here are pictures from Zoë's 11-month shoot and some commentary about her milestones!


Zoë has been eating table foods with us for the past couple of months. She totally skipped baby foods and hates to be fed. She likes feeding herself! She can eat pizza, noodles, soft fruits and veggies, cheese, crackers and pretty much anything we eat that is soft. She only has her two bottom teeth, too!


Just today Zoë took 8 steps in a row! I've got a toddler now!!! She had been taking a step or two for the past several days but today was the first day she took more than 2 steps and walked toward me. It was so exciting. Abigail and I were jumping up and down and clapping!


Zoë does a few signs. Right now she only signs "more" and "eat". I plan on working with her more on doing signs for "cold", "bath", "drink", "milk", etc.


Zoë still isn't talking much. She said "Elaina" as her first word weeks ago but hasn't said it again since. She says "Uh oh" and just babbles everything else. Her pediatrician says it is normal, though, which is good. Zoë's babbling is toddler babbling, not baby babbling (meaning she mixes up all the babbling sounds to mimic language instead of just saying one thing over and over). My other girls talked so early and had huge vocabs before their first birthdays that I was comparing Zoë to them. I was relieved to hear she is doing just fine for her age!


Favorite things and games- Peek-a-Boo is a huge hit, playing "parachute" with a blanket or towel or just good old-fashioned wrestling and jumping on Mom is fun! Any toy or item that is off limits is her favorite thing to play with of course, too! I think I've got my hands full with this one... Did I mention she loves cleaning out cabinets and drawers? That is her absolute favorite thing to do.


Zoë loves clapping when she's excited or if we clap for her! And she loves giving high fives (if she knows you well enough to give you one that is)!


Zoë's favorite playmates aren't dolls or stuffed animals (she could care less about them). Nope, she adores her sisters. In the morning I'll bring Zoë into my room and if she hears Abigail in her room she wriggles out of my arms and speed crawls to the big girls' shared room to hang out.

 Standing by herself in this pic (she's been standing alone for a month now):

Zoë was in the 75th percentile for weight when she was smaller but is now in the 25th percentile and I think I know why! She's a mover and a groover. Always crawling, walking along furniture, wiggling and wriggling. She's never really been a cuddler but still lets me hold her and wants to be held at times. But even now she won't fall asleep in my arms unless absolutely exhausted.


Zoë is still breastfed but now that she is eating three meals and two snacks a day we nurse 4 times a day. She started sleeping through the night when I started putting her in her crib at night for bed. She can now go down to bed full awake and put herself to sleep rather than being rocked and nursed to sleep!

12 comments:

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

What a cute theme, cant wait to see pics! Our babies are all grow-ed up now!

Trev still nurses/drinks 4 times a day. Wasnt sure if that was the norm..glad to hear Zoe is the same. I nurse him in the morning and night and give him two breastmilk bottles during the day.

Vixbil said...

I can't believe she is nearly a year. A gorgeous post about a gorgeous girls
xx

Kaye said...

Wow. I can't believe she's almost a year old!

I love all the pics. I know you said you weren't happy with some of them (was that on FB?), but I think they are adorable.

And the black and white one above the clapping paragraph, she looks just like photos I've seen of your Abigail.

Sounds like she and my Abigail have a lot in common--not talking, constant mover, loves the siblings, loves activity. Too bad we don't live closer or we could get them together to wear each other out. =)

Love it!

The Mommy said...

OH MY! How can she be eating and walking and about to celebrate her first birthday!!!??

Kaysha said...

Love the post! She is so adorable!

*~Chelsea~* said...

Omg....how cute!! Haha, you're THAT mom who puts her ponytail on top of her head. So adorable! I love the birthday party theme - it's VERY Joy. :-) You have always loved fall!

The Lynchs said...

LOVE the fall birthday theme! It's my favorite season of all and I can't wait to see pics - you are always so creative!

Tommie Jo said...

What sweet pictures! I found your site through Joys of home's comments (saw the name of your blog & was intrigued`so cute!).

Andrea said...

How did she grow up so fast!? I guess for awhile there she seemed so far behind Evan...since when they are younger 2 months is a big difference. Now she is just like him, they are similar in MANY ways! I'd love to get the two of them together so they could go through cabinets and drawers and then have a snack.

I love all the pictures, but the last one is definitely my favorite!

Susan Sene said...

what a doll!! can't believe she's almost a year old!!! Ri was in a pretty high percentile when she was born and has gradually gone down. I asked the doc about this and he said because her weight percentile is higher than her height, it's obvious she's getting plenty and doing just fine. Sometimes I wonder how much those percentiles really mean...I mean, I've seen pictures of huge babies but when they're adults, they're average-sized at best.

Julie said...

I can't believe it's almost her birthday! Yay to Zoë for all her accomplishments! She gets cuter and cuter with each passing month too.

Becky said...

SOooo cute, JoY! She's a doll...and already standing and walking? Where did the time go...it seems like you were just pregnant with her!