Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer Loving!

I've been gone! We took a little Staycation here at home since we can't ever afford to go anywhere. And it was really fun. We saw Despicable Me in the theater, we went to Crown Center to hang out at the Clifford Exhibit and Kaleidoscope. Today we went to the Toy and Miniature Museum and I saw my dream house as a little dollhouse! Seriously. I told Daniel he needed to build me an almost exact replica of this house; it was SO cool! 

 We love Clifford, the big red dog!

I don't think the hotdog is big enough...

Goth Baby?! This is what happens when you turn your back for ONE second! She sucks on a blue marker.This is an unedited picture so you can see her real hair color, too! It is red but I see a lot of new blonde growing in.

I also gave the girls haircuts (well the older ones anyway; Zoë is still working on growing her hair)! Abigail wanted bangs like her big sister. I giggle so much when she says she wants to do what Elaina does! She ended up looking like a little porcelain doll.




Elaina is starting school on Monday! I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. My kids have been fighting and fighting and fighting. I'm so ready for a reprieve from the fighting and for her to get involved in school again. It's been so hot we haven't gone outside a whole lot. Now that school is starting it is supposed to cool down some, go figure!

And the biggest news I have is that Zoë has been going to bed in her own room, in her own crib. We're finally putting her room and crib to good use! Seriously she was really starting to freak me out in my bed. She's a mover and I was so afraid she'd crawl over me in the middle of the night and fall onto our hardwood floors. She was also still nursing in the middle of the night, all night long. Just waking me up every 5-20 minutes. So two nights ago I told her it was time for her to go to her bed, for her own safety. I just had to make up my mind to do it and just do it.

So she screamed at me for a while but I stayed there with her and just sang and hummed softly. She was angry more than anything. When she started doing the tired "fussing" (different from crying; it is a soothing technique for babies) I left the room. And then she was out. And she stayed in her crib that first night for the entire night. I heard her wake and soothe herself back to sleep twice but never once did she cry for me.

Needless to say when I woke up I was so engorged it hurt and my breasts were seriously DOUBLE in size. I didn't think that was possible but it happened! And I woke up before her. I waited... and waited for her to wake up. Finally decided to go clean the attic and by 9AM I finally decided to wake her myself so I could relieve my breasts before they imploded. 

Last night was night #2 for her in her own crib and she went down quicker and didn't make a single peep the entire night. I also had to wake her up again this morning though this time it was 7:35 and I was almost crying from the engorgement. So I guess you could say I woke her up selfishly, ha ha! It will get better as my body gets used to not nursing nonstop in the middle of the night.

Right now she is sound asleep in her bed. I can't tell you how excited yet how sad I am at the same time! I'm excited because we're all getting better sleep, I have my sex life back, my body will most likely start to regulate (hello Aunt Flow?! Remember me?), I'll be able to blog more here and do things I enjoy after the kids go to bed, she's safer and she's sleeping great BUT... I miss my baby! It is all for the best at this point and we're doing fine.

Her first morning after sleeping in her crib. I was [im]patiently waiting for her to wake to nurse and shot some photos of her and she STILL slept through the camera flashes. Good job, Zoë!

3 comments:

Anne Elizabeth said...

I am SO excited that she is sleeping in her crib now. YAY:) Sounds like you had a lot of fun this week too. Love Abby's hair. She does look like a porcelain doll. Very cute pictures. E got into a marker or crayon today. He looked just like Z. I should have taken a picture. Like your new layout too.

Julie said...

Wow, Z handled the transition really well, Joy! My kids always put up a stink for a long while when I tried to put them in their cribs. Yay, Zoë!!
You do such a great job on the girls' hair! Come trim Hannah's for me!
Glad you guys had a good week off! It was strange not to see you on FB all week; I was itching for you to come back.

Susan Sene said...

That's so great Zoe is sleeping so well in her bed! I can't imagine how bitter sweet that must have been for you. I had a really hard time when we switched Ri to her crib from her bassinet and she was only in our room for about 3 months.