Monday, August 30, 2010

First Shots

At 10-months-old Zoë finally got her first shots. She did absolutely amazing. The experience was way different then when I got my other girls vaccinated per the CDC's recommended schedule. She cried for about 2 seconds and then was fine. She babbled to herself in the car (she usually screams in the car- she hates riding!) and didn't really seem "off" except for some teething pain. This was on Friday so we made it through the weekend without a fever or any other side effects from the shots.

Zoë was 18 lbs 5 ounces and I forget how long. They usually write that stuff down for me but our regular nurse went home sick so the step-in didn't do it. And of course I didn't even think about it until I got home and wanted to relay everything to Daniel.

Anyway, I think vaccinations are incredibly important. Without them diseases are making a comeback and coming at full force (over half a dozen children just died in California from Pertussis, AKA Whooping Cough). But I also believe in delaying vaccinations. I don't know that it is wise to give a newborn a Hepatitis B vaccine, for example. That's a vaccine that would be more appropriate when your child started school.

My sister-in-law made a great point about vaccinations in general. There are people dying in third world countries and they will walk for miles and stand in the hot sun for hours when someone comes to deliver a vaccine to their people but in America we don't see death and disease like they do so it's so much easier for us to take vaccines for granted or to say my children are better off without them. 

I'm not big on telling people what to do. Seriously! Anyone who knows me knows that I try to keep my nose out of other peoples' business. So I'm not saying any of this to spark some great debate or make anyone feel guilty for choices they have or haven't made. Just follow your heart! I followed mine and so far we are doing awesome.

Oh and I have some FUNNY THINGS KID SAY moments around here lately.

The other day Elaina told Daniel- "Daddy, the embryo is inside the seed" to which he raised his brows. He laughingly told me later that he was thinking to himself, "How does my five-year-old know the word 'embryo'?!" Apparently they are learning about seeds in school and the little baby plant inside the seed is called an embryo. But we had no idea so her funny little sayings were such a mystery to us!

Abigail told me that she was going to turn back into a baby and go into my tummy and tickle me and that I was going to laugh! I love the age of 3!!! So imaginative and silly!

Abigail is quite the little comedian, too. But she's also got a wild streak in her. She reminds me so much of me and I don't know whether to be proud or scared, ha ha! Anyway all day she talks to her imaginary friends. One friend is "Hannah" and one is "Prince" and the other is "Mr. Nick" (Elaina's PK teacher from last year who will most likely be Abby's teacher next year). She just chatters with them all day long. Not in a weird way, though. She just imagines she's at school or that she's a princess waiting for her prince. It just makes me giggle to listen to her, when she has no idea I'm listening. I'll have to catch something on video soon!

3 comments:

The Mommy said...

I'm right there with you on vaccines! I think it's important to follow your instincts and not do it just because the CDC says ro.
Love the cute things that the kids say! i had forgotten the whole seed-embryo thing.

Angie said...

So cute, I love kid-speak...it is so sweet to hear the world from their mouths!

The Lynchs said...

I'm glad you've had such success with the delayed vaccines! My husband and I have already decided that's what we will be doing once we have babies! Unfortunately, we really don't know anyone else who has done it...

And I love the imaginations! Little kids crack me up!