Sunday, July 11, 2010

Our Own Shelter!

I think word is getting around the neighborhood that we take good care of animals because this sweet little black kitten decided to taken up residence on our front porch. Throughout the day I'd see her mournfully mewing at me through our big window. So, as I do with all strays, I put out a little food and thought she'd be on her merry way.

Except she's been out there for almost an entire week. I finally decided yesterday to get flea medication and bathe her. It has gotten to the point that I go and check to make sure she's still out there. If we're already feeding her she may as well come in, right? I made sure she went in the litter box before relaxing enough to let her roam. She went twice!

 After her bath! She's so tiny she looked like a little wet rat. She did REALLY good for the bath, too. She just stood there, unsure of what to do. But at least she didn't fight and claw me!

So we are looking for a family to take her but for now she's inside. It was 2 years ago in August that Beckett, our Siamese, found us. Must just be the season strays come and beg at the door!


I've dubbed the kitty Iona (i-yawn-uh). It was a name on my baby list but Daniel didn't like it so I am using it for the kitty because I LOVE it! She's got long, thick black fur and gold eyes. Her eyes are so expressive and beautiful, as you can see above.


My girls have begged for her to come in and Daniel wouldn't relent. Finally I told him I was giving her a bath and that I'd put her back outside afterward if that was what he truly wanted. I think he secretly likes her. He won't admit it but if I say, "Do you want me to put her back out?" he just says he doesn't want to talk about the cat and changes the subject. Awwwww, he's a sucker too (he called me a sucker). He refuses to tell me to put her out!

We aren't calling her ours and are still looking for a family to take her. If no one takes her in a couple weeks we'll re-evaluate and see if we can afford another pet. Isn't she just adorable? Elaina loves snuggling with her!


Beckett chose us. I wonder if Iona has chosen us as well or if we're to be the medium to finding her a forever home. Either way she is with us for now! Sam has tried to dominate her in a way I thought only male dogs tried to dominate. Ha ha! And Beckett is very cautious. I can tell he is upset with me. But he will get over it.


4 comments:

The Mommy said...

Iona is adorable and Beckett is so big & beautiful! Good luck finding a home for Iona.

*~Chelsea~* said...

I'm so glad there are people like you to take care of animals who have no one to love them. :-) You're a good woman, Joysters!

The Lynchs said...

I'm so like that! Thank goodness we haven't had any strays, or I would be running a shelter!!! :-)

She is pretty though!

Becky said...

Someone let the cat out of the bag...that your house is the best place for food and a bath..

She is a pretty kitty. I, too, would have a hard time sending any pet that showed up on my doorstep on it's way. There is just something to them 'choosing' you that makes you feel like it was destiny, lol.

The girls are sure getting big!