Thursday, March 18, 2010

Stupid Mommy!

As parents the power of our words run deep. Even when we think they're not paying attention our children are soaking up everything they hear. So it was no surprise that Abigail laughingly said to me, "You are a stupid Mommy!" the other day. *gulp* I have a tendency to mumble, "Stupid cat" when Beckett does something that irritates me. It may be under my breath but the words have impact! And of course my cat isn't stupid and neither am I. Poor Abby just didn't understand what the word meant at all and it wasn't said to hurt me.

I didn't get upset with her but I did let her know that wasn't a nice word and I apologized for using the word myself! Another thing that I say a ton that I really need to watch (and not just because of my kids) is "Oh my God!" While the first few times were cute hearing Abby's exasperated little munchkin voice let out an OMG it isn't something I want her repeating because in many contexts (aka non life-threatening) it isn't appropriate or respectful. So now we're trying to train ourselves to say something else, sometimes "Oh my goodness!"

What kinds of things have your kids said that had you going, "WHOA! Wait a minute... I need to watch what I say!"?


"Train your child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."  
           Proverbs 22:6
"Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."  
          Ephesians 6:4

5 comments:

Jewels said...

Maddie says "shut up". I know, I know. And Hannah and Emily tell me I'm fat. Really, they ARE great kids----they just overhear things.

Andrea said...

Funny that you posted about this because I was just thinking about it the other day! Obviously Evan isn't old enough to talk yet, but I've already caught myself saying things that I know I wouldn't want to hear him repeat. "Oh my God" or "Oh Lord" out of appropriate context are some of those. I also tend to call our cats "stupid," etc. That's actually my biggest problem, insulting the cats! lol I (mostly) do it to be funny and out of love, but it is a terrible habit and I would hate it if Evan picked up on it.

Veronica said...

LOVE the verus!

My oldest said the s word and I was shocked! Until a few minutes later when I tripped and fell and said the s word myself.

Photogrl said...

They are like little sponges...

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but Miss O. has picked up more phrases than I care to admit from me!

The Mommy said...

Of course, I can't think of anything that Maggie has said right now, but I do remember her saying stuff that she heard from her Daddy. It's only a matter of time before she picks up something bad to say from me.