Saturday, January 9, 2010

Motivation

So I started working out last Sunday and I have to tell you- it's been rough! Not just physically but mentally as well. I'm definitely not as driven as I had been after my miscarriage over a year ago. Not to mention that I'm always tired and my poor body hasn't been worked so hard in a year. But I will press on. I just need a good mental kick!

But speaking of motivation in another sense- I just read this blog post and not only did it bring tears to my eyes but it brought much conviction. I've always been the volunteer-type. I love working even if I don't get paid. I once volunteered at a pro-life pregnancy center for a few months before I had to stop for a variety of reasons not related to the place itself. I've worked at a nursing home and a hospital as part of the nutrition staff (AKA the people that bring you the lovely tray of hospital food). I've done volunteer work as a tutor, for the Red Cross, for children with Down Syndrome, etc.

And if you haven't noticed it yet... I happen to be a bit of a birth junkie. But alas I have three children, one of which is a new baby. So I can't physically go out and volunteer at hospitals or clinics for extended periods of time. But I do love medicine and I would LOVE to one day volunteer again.

What I can do is sit [while I nurse my baby]. Sit and crochet! This blog post mentioned above really motivated me to want to make baby blankets for babies. I'd been contemplating learning new crochet techniques and was even looking through a book my sister sent me of different designs just the other day, wondering if I could make blankets to sell. But I think making blankets to give to sweet little babies fighting for their lives sounds even more amazing than doing it for money.

I don't have a lot of money myself but I hope that I can start finding yarn on sale and start making little blankets. This is exciting! I hope it inspires you, no matter what your craft or passion, to get out there and make a difference in someone's life. You don't even need to leave your house.

I think that if money became an issue I could start making blankets to sell but not for personal profit. Basically each blanket would cost double the amount in materials so that each buyer was essentially paying for their blanket and for the materials for the donated blanket. I don't know... we shall see. I don't know what the legal requirements would be for such an endeavor. If anyone has information on that aspect I'd love to hear it.

9 comments:

The Mommy said...

What a nice idea to crochet blankets for sick, little babies! I tried to learn to crochet several years ago, but I was only able to make long chains. I like to call them bracelets or necklaces!

Amber said...

Hey! There was a group of elderly ladies who made miniature quilts and donated them when Walker was in the NICU. We still have his and it is one of my cherished possessions because someone prayed for my baby to live with every stitch.

Kaysha said...

What a great idea! You're such a good person (I don't mean that in the condescending way some people say it). I learned the hard way that I'm too big of a perfectionist to knit or crochet anything like that, but next time you're looking for materials for a blanket I can pick some up to send to you.

*~Chelsea~* said...

What a great idea! You've always been so thoughtful. That's just an amazing idea!

I hear you on needing motivation! Fortunately I got my workout in today but never did anything yesterday and I had ice cream. Whoops. Oh well, onward and upward. I agree with you the water - I'm trying to drink more of that in addition to our fitness and diet goals. I was going to use today to post a few recipes on the blog. Diet, diet, diet...*sigh* And no more ice cream. *groan* I ordered a new bikini and there's no way I'd be caught dead in it until I lose 10-15 pounds. We can do it, Joysters!!!

The Lynchs said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea!! What a way to bless a family!

Katie said...

What an awesome idea! I purchase a blanket every year on Gummy Bear's EDD to donate to our local NICU. I wish I knew how to crochet or knit so I could make one instead! Legalities aside, I think it would be amazing to buy one get one for someone else. . . if you did an etsy store and were very upfront with what you were doing, I don't even know how much you'd have to do from a legal standpoint.

leo said...

Crocheting is one thing that I want to learn! I have been trying to do some crocheting but I have no patience.
wood baby crib

wife.mom.nurse said...

Wow, I have chills. This is so exciting to read. I can see that other families will be blessed because of what the volunteers at my medical center did. Sweet.

I wish you the best in this endeavor. You have a beautiful heart.

Oh, I also wanted to tell you how much I like your Lily Pie for breastfeeding. So cute :)

Tanya said...

I don't have the gift of time to offer either...but definitely have a heart for new moms...so I bake for them. It doesn't cost a lot, and a lot of times I just drop it at the door with a note. I think the little things..like a handmade blanket and baking from someones kitchen mean a lot!!