Thursday, December 31, 2009

Expectations

I'm not a big "resolutions" person. I don't think one day of the year should be the only time people reflect upon their lives and strive to be better people. But it is also really hard NOT to think about, "What can I do differently and how can I do better?" when it is all around you.

So I have succumbed to the Resolution Monster and have a list of things I want to strive to work on:

1). I really want to learn how to use my sewing machine. I already have some awesome Christmas ideas for NEXT year rolling around in my head.

2). I have some jewelry ideas floating about so I'd really like to make some new pieces and sell my current inventory. For those that don't know- I have an Etsy shop. It's been on vacation since I was pregnant. I make the oh-so-popular hand-stamped jewelry that you now see everywhere.

3). And since we're on the topic of crafts I also would love to learn to knit and how to make crochet baby hats. I can do a simple crochet for blankets. I think I'll get some yarn, break out the needles and put on some YouTube videos on how to do more elaborate crocheted projects.

4). I want to lose 50-60 lbs. I know- everyone has a weight loss or fitness goal for the new year, right? Well I'll be darned if I quit! Someone smack me if I do. I haven't put down an exact number because honestly I'll be happy losing a minimum of 50 but losing 60 is most ideal. I start on Sunday!!!

5). To be a better mom. I feel I'm a pretty good parent but there's always room to grow, always things I'm learning about my kids and myself. Everyday is a day to start fresh. I want my childrens' memories of me to be good, wholesome, full of laughter and love. I need to be less selfish and more focused on them when they need me.

6). To be a better wife. I'll be honest and say it isn't always easy to compromise. There've been some very embarrassing squabbles between the husby and myself this past year. Now, now... nothing to worry over! But I have let bitterness creep into my heart and I really need to focus on being more respectful of Daniel. He, too, has things he has to work on so this isn't one-sided. That is what compromise is all about after all.

7). To be a better cook! Oh how I loathe cooking in my freakishly ugly kitchen. You may have seen glimpses of it in pictures on here. I know the room shouldn't matter but if it isn't comfortable and roomy it just isn't a place I want to be. Therefore I just don't spend time in there. I've been finding many new recipes and trying new things already. I want to continue my streak because I hate processed foods. I love the pride I feel when my family sits down to eat something I worked hard on.


I'm sure there's more. We must always continue to strive to be better people, to be kinder to our environment and to the people around us. I wish so many blessings to each and every single one of you as we venture into 2010!!!

5 comments:

Vixbil said...

Mmm, 4 - 7 I am wanting to do, I even got the 30 day burn fitness dvd you guys have been doing I start it monday so here goes
xxxx

The Mommy said...

I'm really going to try to lose at least 15 pounds...it's really more like 20-25. Good Luck!

Jewels said...

Those are good goals, Sis. I agree, I gave up on New Year's resolutions years ago because I never followed through with them. I think as long we strive anytime during the year to make ourselves better people, the whole world is better off.

Like you, I want to learn how to use my sewing machine this year. And I know what you mean about the kitchen. It's hard to spend time in a room that we don't feel uncomfortable in.

Happy New Year!

The Lynchs said...

I want to do several of those things as well - I think they are all great resolutions! As far as cooking goes, have you tried any of Rachel Ray's cookbooks? The 30 Minute Meal ones are especially helpful for a busy mom :-)

*~Chelsea~* said...

Hey, Joysters! Good resolutions! I don't generally do them, either (for the same reasons as you), but I don't see the harm. Even saying something you want to do out loud or writing it on paper makes you more accountable than if you just thought about it.

When do we start our blog? You lead the way, Webmaster! ;-)