Tuesday, October 6, 2009

38 Weeks and the Magic Soons Begins!

The raspberry leaf tea doesn't taste bad at all. It just tastes like a plain tea with a hint of raspberry. Nothing bitter or overwhelming! I just made myself a cup (and a cup of hot cocoa for Abigail...). I was a little nervous about trying it out. And the $7 price tag for the box made me cringe, so I'm feeling good about the purchase now.

Well I'm 38 weeks! I only have 2 more to go, or less. Hopefully no more than 2 weeks, right?

So I'm still feeling great but feeling a lot of pressure. I'm constantly thirsty too. I feel like I can't get enough water! And I was able to put my wedding ring back on. No swelling and no high blood pressure. Hopefully the delivery will go as well as this pregnancy!

I've asked my mom-in-law to be at the delivery. She was there when Abigail was born and was a calm in the midst of the storm. She really helped keep Daniel and myself calm and all she really did was sit across the room, crocheting and praying. Since I'm planning on not using pain relief medication (aka epidural) her role might be different this time around, too. More of a doula-like role. We'll just have to see. This isn't exactly something I can plan out since I won't know until we're there.

I spent this morning balancing the checkbook and making calls to a few bills I have. For some reason, every single time I go to the lab for blood draws, they NEVER submit the bill to my secondary insurance. So I have to call every single time to have them do it. It's getting old and fast. I also got a bill from my old credit card. Apparently Amazon.com wanted to charge my credit card for something I didn't sign up for. This will be a lovely mess to try to clean up. But definitely something I want to handle now and not later.

I'm starting to get anxious about the delivery in a new respect now. I feel really unprepared for trying to do this without medication. I already know that if I do end up getting pain relief I'm not going to beat myself up about it! But I haven't read any books or done a class. Daniel still doesn't know any ways to help me with pain relief... because you know, when you have to talk to men about important issues it can always wait for another day. Well, sorry but we know not the day or hour in which labor will strike, lovebug! Time to get cracking on it and listen to your wifey-pooh.

I know the midwives will definitely be supportive and help us both. My next appointment is Thursday so I'll bring it up and see if maybe they'll walk us through some pain relief techniques. Daniel won't be able to protest then! Ha ha!

3 comments:

The Mommy said...

I wanted to skip the epidural, but Mike & I couldn't do it. When we went into day two and the pain got intense I asked for the epidural and was finally able to get a little rest. After 24 hours in the hospital with no baby, I needed it! My midwives were tremendously supportive either way. I CANNOT say enough good things about my midwives.

Kaye said...

Still praying for you and Zoe! =)

Tasha Via said...

You are getting SO close!

I went all natural this third time around and it wasn't planned at all. I went to no classes and read no books this time around and I was just thinking, because of previous births, that the epidural slowed things down WAY TOO MUCH for my liking and that I might want to try no drugs this time. Once I got in their though I didn't really have a choice because things started progressing so quickly. I didn't have a CLUE what I was doing, but so glad that it turned out the way it did.

A few tips I learned...
screaming does nothing for getting the baby out. It was just my natural instinct to scream out but you are supposed to bear down while doing what you see on all the movies "eeeee, eeeeeeee, eeeeeee". Then, when the head is coming out you will feel it burning like fire, I won't lie. I was so glad the nurse warned me of that right before it happened. So just expect that and know that the end is SO near.

You'll do a great job no matter what happens in there and little Zoe will be in your arms before you know it;)