Wednesday, September 2, 2009

DIY and Some Fall Decor Ideas

So let's talk DIY. Today I went out to run errands. I was going to BRU to get baby shower gifts for Daniel's cousin but they weren't open yet and I had an hour to kill. Jump across the street to Ol.d Ti.me Pot.tery. I got this awesome 5 FOOT Scarecrow (you'll see him in a pic below) for only $4.99 on sale!

Well I got in trouble because after that I gravitated toward the dollar store next door. I knew I'd find fall decor there. Here's what I found at the dollar store: glasses, little plastic pumpkins, bag of silk leaves, candy and silk leaves on stems (not pictured).




So what the heck did I do with $12 worth of stuff? I decorated THREE rooms of my house, that's what. Dining room, front room and foyer. The next picture shows what I did with the clear glasses and candy. And now that area of my house smells like a Trick-or-Treat goody bag! (Ceramic pumpkin was something I already had.)



We keep our plates on the table due to lack of cabinet space, on a dark wicker charger (enormous plate thing). I really wish I could do a pretty and elaborate centerpiece because the table is the first thing you notice walking in. Instead, I used what I had and sprinkled the silk leaves around the base of the plates, right on the edge of the charger:



Next I took my decorative glass and my crystal-looking plastic pumpkins and put them together...



Then I stuck in my bouquets of fall leaves for a quick, yet somewhat glamorous vase:



I had tons of silk leaves leftover so I sprinkled them over tables, as though fall was just blowing through our house. The lighting in my house STINKS majorly but you get the idea:



Another table (ignore empty frames!). Notice the candles sitting on the ceramic leaves? I also got those at the dollar store last year. So check the candle aisle!



Another shot of my candy concoction. I'm sure Daniel and the girls will be snacking on that particular decoration as I do NOT like those candies.



You don't have to go overboard everywhere. Here are just two simple ceramic pumpkins resting on my bookshelf:



My mantle was easy. I didn't move stuff around but instead put some wicker pumpkins (found for $.99 each at Ol.d Ti.me Pott.ery last year) on my red candle holders and I placed a cute, fabric pumpkin smack dab in the middle of it all, with pretty pine cones adorning each side. Click to enlarge.



Speaking of pine cones, I got these awesome cinnamon-scented pine cones on super clearance at the end of the season last year (I think it was $1 or less for a huge bag). They still smell amazing. The cute box the pine cones are sitting in is a wooden box, imprinted with fall leaves, from the DOLLAR store! The pumpkin and leaf votive holders on either side were given to me and they're really nice and heavy metal. Freebies rock! The other leaf votives were from my mom's house, so more freebies.



My $2.99 find of the day, hanging on a door in the foyer:



The stairs to the right of above door adorned with orange ribbons (looks better than what the picture shows) and my brand new inexpensive scarecrow chilling out until I find a home for him. I really want some fall garland for the stairs and I saw some inexpensive ones but am waiting for the end-of-the-season clearance.




This picture is dark but wanted to share this awesome pumpkin my MIL knit/crocheted for me. I don't know if she'd make more and sell them or not. She made this one to sell and it didn't sell so she just gave it to me. This particular one was around $20, I think, because of the yarn and her time:



You don't have to spend a lot to decorate. Here are some Secrets of a Shopaholic tips:

-Check the dollar store! But compare prices because some dollar items are not worth $1 and can be found cheaper somewhere else.

-Go free! That is, you can find your own pine cones and fall leaves right outside your front door... and you don't have to spend a dime! You can even find acorns, pine needles/branches and walnuts to place in a really large glass piece for an instant (and inexpensive) centerpiece!

-Fabric goes a long way for a small price! I don't have any for fall, but I want to get fabrics to drape over little tables and buffets around my house before putting decor on top. Check the scrap bin for even more discounts (that's how I got my Christmas tree skirt- I found large, red, silky fabric in the scrap bin for about $1).

-Be patient and wait. When the season ends, hit up the stores for some major clearance (50-75% off, sometimes even 90% off!). This is when I like to stock up on all those wonderful holiday platters and ceramic bowls that are always overpriced. And you can find all sorts of other goodies like holiday-scented candles, ornaments, dishes and garland!

-Think outside the box! You don't have to decorate with the typical stuff found only in the seasonal aisles. For instance, I used regular old wine glasses and filled them with Halloween candy. I also filled old, unused plant pots with some of my cinnamon-scented pinecones. Maybe you have vases or an orange-tinted fabric lying around somewhere you could incorporate into decor!


Share your tips if you've got any! I hope this inspires you and happy decorating!

4 comments:

*~Chelsea~* said...

Great tips - thanks, Joysters! Your house looks beautiful!

Becky said...

Love all your decorations!

Just catching up again...got a tad behind on reading, but I'm still here!

Jen said...

What fun ideas! I'm going to have to try some of these! Especially the candy jars! :) Thanks for participating in Fall Family Fridays over at Thrifty NW Mom! :)

Christy said...

I love the candy jars - too cute!