Tuesday, September 8, 2009

34 Weeks and Home Births

So our little peanut has grown into a honeydew melon! She's probably about 4 lbs, give or take some ounces. I have this weird thing, though, that I have to ask you guys about. Usually when your baby gets the hiccups it gives you a good idea if your baby is breech or head-down. Well... I feel hiccups down L-O-W and up by my ribs at the same time!!! I'm so confused. I think she's head-down and it's just her bum up top moving with the hiccups.

On a different note: I have always been a person that respects home births, but never ever felt that I'd be comfortable enough to actually have a home birth. I've watched the videos on Yo.uT.ube, read the birth stories, talked to midwives and always thought, "That's so nice... but not for me!"

Just this past week or so my tune has changed. I really feel like I am in a place where I could comfortably and safely give birth at home. Problem is that it isn't going to happen since Daniel does not like the idea whatsoever. But it was a nice thought and I hope that he changes his mind in the future. I actually know people who've given birth at home, in real life, and I admire them greatly.

So why, you may wonder, have I begun to think about this? I think it's a multitude of things that changed my mind. Some of it is pretty intense and I won't go into that (mostly with hospital policies and regulations, defense medicine, etc.). But I began to think, "What if I was in the comfort of my own home, not having to rush off to the hospital in fear and anxiety, hoping I get there 'in time'?" Being able to labor and do what I need to do, stare at our family pictures, bring my baby into the world, and then rest in my own home without people rushing in and out of my room and all the noise and rough hands handling my baby!

A lot of my research in home birth has also led me to this conclusion- "Home birth is actually safer than hospital birth for low-risk women, with a health professional present!" (ONE of my resources HERE). Beforehand I didn't think it could be that safe. Now I'm finding it is as safe and even safer than a hospital birth.

But again, as I said before, Daniel is not on the same page as I am. And that's okay. I think a lot of what he feels is fear, mostly that his wife might die in delivery (which he feels at a hospital birth, too). Much like what I used to feel when thinking about home birth and feeling it wasn't for me.

Instead we plan to labor at home as long as possible instead of going in when those first real contractions hit. The moment you lay down to be monitored at the hospital, your contractions can ease up and your progress can slow significantly. So it's important to me to stay home for a little while instead of spending hours on monitors and slowing progress.

We are also praying for our doctor, whoever that may be since this practice has quite a few, and for the nurses that will be present when we deliver. We believe in the power of prayer and we're praying they'll be knowledgeable, kind, respectful, peaceful and joyous. We'd appreciate adding us onto your prayer list about this specific situation. For some reason I feel more apprehension prior to this birth than the birth of my other two. Perhaps because I know all the things that CAN go wrong and have more knowledge in this area than I did back then.

So 1 1/2 months and she'll be here. My TO DO List has dwindled considerably. Just this weekend we installed the infant seat in our van and packed the hospital bag (with a list of last-minute items to grab with us, such as pillows and my eyeglasses). Not much left to do!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

I will definitely be praying for you! And for your doctors and nurses. It's amazing what a difference it makes to have a great support system while in labor. I hope your experience is as good as mine was. :-)

The only reason I wouldn't do a home birth is because I feel like I wouldn't be as relaxed as I'd be in the hospital unless everything was spotless and organized. Of course, maybe after the baby arrives it wouldn't matter anymore. I know these past few weeks I've really let the house go, it's a wreck!

*~Chelsea~* said...

Awe...wow, a home birth? That would be quite brave! Good point that it would lower anxiety during the drive to the hospital, though.

I'm glad you knocked things off your to-do list! :) That always feels so great. Yaye, she's almost here!!!!

Becky said...

Back away from the birth stories, girl! If you're starting to feel anxious, it's probably because you've seen far too much of the worst-case-scenario stuff...not realizing that THOUSANDS of births take place around the country daily and go marvelously well.

But you guys have the right idea...just pray for the right doctor and assistants to be on hand when you do go into labor. The Lord can orchestrate all the details for you and give you both peace about everything.

kim_brough said...

You could always do what my friend does; she and her husband stay home to labor and don't go to the hospital until she knows she's in full on active labor and not in transitional stage anymore. (We're nurses and she couldn't stomach the idea of delivering without a doctor in arm's reach-- people still die with childbirth!) Last time she was at the hospital for an hour and a half before baby N was born and less than 24 hours total.

And think about it this way, would you have your gallbladder removed at home???

Joy said...

A baby is hardly a gallbladder. There is a world of difference in giving birth to a baby (a natural process) and surgically having an organ removed from your body. But thank you for your first bit of advice. That is what we plan to do- labor at home as long as possible but go to the hospital when transition hits.

The Mommy said...

It will be here in no time!!!

Photogrl said...

Getting SO close!

I'll be praying for you...