Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Week 29 and Diabetes

I am 29 weeks! I'm almost to the 30's. And almost to counting down single-digit weeks until baby girl is here. Still no swelling, still wearing the wedding ring, and feeling great! Though major fatigue has hit me and I've had to start taking naps again. Which I hate. I always feel so groggy and like I've wasted my day when I take a nap. I don't take "cat naps". I nap with the kids, who sleep anywhere from 1-3 hours.

Anyway, I just got my GTT results and they came in at a 137. Lab says over 139 is problematic and considered gestational diabetic. However my doctor wants it under 130. So I'm borderline based on the lab's calculations. Which means... 3-hour glucose test!

I made the appointment for tomorrow morning at 7:40. If you know me, you know I am not a morning person. At all. I don't even talk to people in the mornings. I don't think I even open my eyes. I just stumble around and grunt.

I also have to fast, so no food after 7:30 tonight. Which is fine because I don't usually eat anything late unless I feel as though I'll be sick.

I'm really nervous. I knew this was a possibility because of the PCOS (puts you at higher risk of developing it). So if you pray, please pray that I pass with flying colors! I think that I will. I HOPE that I will. And a major re-evaluation of my diet is in order, no matter the outcome. I've let a few things go since being pregnant because I knew I wouldn't get to do them after I had the baby because of my strict exercise and diet regimen I had going on pre-pregnancy. Not a smart idea, fyi.

I think that the reason I was borderline this time was because I ate breakfast as I walked out the door to the lab. I wasn't required to fast this last time. I wish I would've just fasted anyway to avoid having to do the 3-hour in the event all is truly well. Eh, well can't do anything about it now.

And now I'm off to figure out a low-carb, high protein dinner.

8 comments:

Kahla said...

Wow, I'm behind on commenting so I'll combine it here.

First let me say how cute the school clothes are but good gosh she looks grown! Why does time go so fast???? We don't have to wear uniforms but I figure it won't be long before we do. Our school piloted an option program for kids that wanted to, it was not a big hit!

Second, very cool on the hiccups. I'm not sure if I've felt that or not, I thought I did last week but it was brief so if it was, she got over it quick!

Last, I'm so sorry about the results. I took mine back on July 21st and never heard anything so I'm assuming it was ok. You are so close to passing that I bet you do just fine w/the 3 hour!!

Hoping for our own Peanut said...

i have my one hour test tomorrow, i hope we both get back great results!!

Andrea said...

I will definitely be praying for you! I really, really hope you pass!!!

I hate taking naps too. And I'm definitely not a morning person! For awhile we were scheduling my midwife appts at about 8:30. They've slowly moved later and later. Now they are around 9:30 and that's still too early for my tastes, but it works better with Matt's work schedule. Ugg, and you are having the 3 hour test so early! Maybe you can sleep between blood draws. And definitely relax when you get home!

Washing Away the Gain said...

Good luck!! I'll be thinking of you.
FYI I let go too while pregnant. My thinking was better enjoy food then because after I'd for sure go back to my healthy eating ways, and I have. And that is why I gained 64 lbs!! I think if we have to go through all of it, while not have a little fun too. And yes I ate healthy and non healthy foods.

Susan Sene said...

OK I wish doctors would agree on GD for once. Mine said the first isn't really a true test - just a screening - so it's not all that accurate. They just don't like to put every pregnant woman through the 3 hour fasting test so they use the screening to help weed out some. I was told 140 and under was fine - not borderline. Of course, you remember all the confusion I had with being "borderline".

Regardless, I hope you pass with flying colors!

Infertility is Hard said...

Good luck at the glucose test! I pray you definitely won't have diabetes. :-D

Kaye said...

I guess you're there now, so I'm a bit late in commenting, but know that I am thinking of you and praying that you pass with flying colors! =)

Amber said...

Bless your heart! Let us know how it goes. I'm having a giveaway on my blog today so stop by if you get a chance.