Monday, July 27, 2009

Week 28- and a MAJOR vent

I don't feel like I'm in the 3rd trimester... at all! I still feel like I should be in the first or early second. Time just doesn't seem to want to slow down. So I'm feeling good, pregnancy-wise! Not really having any symptoms, only get back pain when I'm doing something I shouldn't (sitting improperly, for example).

No swelling, still wearing the wedding ring. My hair is still a frizzball mess so I did a search last night about what would be the best products to help. I'm just going to have to try a bunch of stuff to find what works! I use Inf.usium 23 shampoo and conditioner so I may get their "Frizz Ologie" stuff to see how it works. My hair is soft, but it just frizzes out!

Now onto my vent. This is a pretty serious vent about something that irks me like nothing else can irk me. And I don't even care if the person ends up finding this- it might be best if they did. On Fac.ebook I'm friends with a guy from my former youth group. Apparently he got married and they're having their first baby.

Well he keeps updating his status to say that they're trying to get his wife's contractions going, that they're eager to meet baby and that they're ready for him to be here. No problem, right?

He started doing that when she was around 32-33 weeks pregnant! She is currently only 36 weeks pregnant. See where I'm going with this?

If you want to be a pig-headed, selfish jerk go ahead and have your baby prematurely. The March of Dimes doesn't mean anything? RSV? Asthma? Your baby's vision and respiration? How about his birthweight (at 36 weeks the most you could probably hope for is a 4-pound baby!)? Do you know what a NICU is?

Sure, babies can be born early and survive miraculously. Some don't even have problems (or at least not until later in life). But DELIBERATELY wanting to bring your child into the world before the 40 weeks is up, without any medical issues, is the nastiest and most selfish thing I've ever heard. All because you're "so excited to meet him".

So of course I mention to him that studies show that babies born before 37 weeks do not fair well with respiration and end up in the NICU whether they have a problem or not, etc., etc.

His response is another update: "Stop living in fear! God is going to protect my son and he will be born healthy!"

Not fear, sweetheart. It's called concern and reality. Stop being immature and selfish. Babies DIE, babies get sick. Also, God created the gestation period for human beings to be 40 weeks, NOT 30-something. Stop trying to bring your baby into the world before he is meant to be here. Stop getting in the way of God's timing for your son to be born, if you want to bring God into the conversation! It is one thing when your wife's life is in danger, if your son's life is in danger or if premature birth is unpreventable. It is intentionally and willfully trying to induce labor before baby is even ready that makes me so, so, so angry!

I am praying that their child stays in for another month. A month is a long time! A lot happens in those final weeks to prepare baby for the world. And this guy and his wife want to jack it all up out of their eagerness and naivety. Dear God help them! I hope they know how to even care for a newborn. (Okay so that last statement was really judgmental and I apologize, to an extent! I'm really really really nervous for that baby!)

I don't know what else to say so I haven't said anything else beyond the statistics I pointed out. I don't think this person wants to hear it and won't be receptive at all. But I'm not going to take him off my Fac.ebook because I'm too eager to hear how everything turns out for their child.


End of the rant from a very emotionally-charged pregnant woman. I'm eager to meet Zoe, but not at the cost of her life and/or health. People are just too impatient in this generation for their own good.

11 comments:

Vixbil said...

I hear you on that one sweetie, I had all mine preemie, not by choice and I was blessed with healthy children but I know I am VERY lucky. 40 weeks is the way to go
xx

Mary said...

I totally agree.. I really want to finally have my baby, but I want it to be finally October, not her to be early... That guy is not OK...

Staci said...

I agree with you 110%! I'm 19 weeks along with our 4th child and by 31 weeks each time I was tired of being pregnant but NEVER wanted the baby to come before it's time. (Maybe a couple of days but no more than a week :) I'm glad your "friend" has faith that GOd will protect his baby but doesn't God also try to teach us patience?

cady said...

i completely agree. i am SO eager to meet lucy since she's our fist child, but as another commenter said, i'm eager for my due date to get here, NOT for her to be born prematurely. sure, there are cases when lungs can be mature early (like with a friend of mine who had to deliver at 33.5 weeks because her fluid was leaking), but that's not always the case. they just don't have a clue what problems can occur if a baby is born that early.

Kaye said...

You're completely justified in this rant out of concern for that baby! Praying for the health of that little one! Isn't it good that God IS in control and WILL protect that baby (in His way)...regardless of the selfishness of the parents.

*~Chelsea~* said...

Hey, you! Wowwww! People are so ignorant, aren't they??? I can't believe he's trying to do that! I'll pray for them and for that baby because, as you mentioned, this is VERY high risk. :-(

luckeelady said...

this would really urk me too... I'm about 28 weeks the same as you and I'm hoping like heck that my baby stays in as long as possible to increase the chances of being healthy.

I know they may love the child already but it doesn't sound like they are going to be good parents if they are already putting the child's life at risk...

Jess said...

I couldn't agree with you more! What he and his wife are doing is wrong and to bring God into this is stupid. There is a reason why babies bake for 40 weeks! Also, doctors have been wrong before with due dates and estimated fetal age. The baby could be off by a week or two and that makes for an even smaller baby. This little guy is definetely in my prayers!

babyparamore.blogspot.com

Simply-Mel said...

I can hardly believe what I am reading! Seriously? Is this guy for real - dont they have a docter or read any material on babies? I cannot believe any (potential) parent would EVER want to bring their baby home sooner than necessary. Am gobsmacked.

( I found your blog via Jessica, am also a SAHM to 3 in Cape Town, South Africa)

Infertility is Hard said...

Wow. . . Unfortunately this guy seems a little selfish, and A LOT clueless. I also hope and pray the baby stays in the nice little womb for the entire 40 weeks.

Glad you are feeling pretty well pregnancy-wise. :-D

Morgan said...

Agreed.