Monday, July 13, 2009

Week 26 and Dr. Witch Update

The countdown is now under 100 days! I thought this pregnancy would go so slow but I swear we're moving at lightning speed. Even now I'm typing and feeling her roll around, aware that these moments won't last forever but having a hard time figuring out how to make them last.

So a few posts back I mentioned a great fear of mine- that my former doctor (Dr. Witch) would be the only doctor available on L&D when it was time for me to push. I told my current doctor my fear and he listened. But then he sternly (and I do mean STERNLY) told me, "Do not, NOT worry about that! Our practice delivers our patients and I've never had to have her deliver one of my patients."

Phew! Big weight off my shoulders.

We also talked over a few of my other concerns and I gave him my birth plan.

He looked my birth plan over and said, "There's nothing on here that is crazy and out of the ordinary so I don't think any of this will be a problem!" He also said he'll circulate it with the other doctors and initial everything. And I really appreciated that he didn't act as though a birth plan was some crazy, control freak type thing. He seemed genuinely interested in what I had on there and was willing to compromise and work with my wishes. I plan on going over it with him again and finalizing everything after he's had a chance to thoroughly go through it.

I did ask him about delayed cord clamping and he said he waits for the cord to stop pulsing before clamping but they rarely put baby on mommy's belly/chest for that because then they'd be above the placenta and their blood could drain back into the placenta?! I never heard that in all my research of this. So I'll probably do some more research and bring in what I find to discuss it with him.

Can you believe it? After this next appointment (3 weeks from my last one) I start going every TWO WEEKS! When he said that I almost said, "What? Why?!" I just keep forgetting how far along I'm getting. Ha ha! It's just time to start going every 2 weeks now. I'm starting to get deliciously nervous about meeting Zoe!


Some things we have left to do:
  • Install infant seat into car
  • Do the chair rail (!!!). Daniel really doesn't want to. If he ends up not doing it he is going to finish painting the entire room green because I can't stand wallpaper borders.
  • Pack hospital bag
  • Figure out Zoe's middle name (again, Daniel's department!)
Those are the only imminent things that must be done. There's a ton of other stuff that's not as important but I hope gets done.

6 comments:

The Mommy said...

I'm SO glad that your doctor is so nice! My OB practice delivers their own patients too...that was a BIG relief.
Thanks for the weight loss advice. I hope to start something soon.

Washing Away the Gain said...

This is all very exciting!! Time flew by for me too. Everyone kept telling me that it would feel like forever but it never did. It went by way too fast.

Andrea said...

Yay, under 100 days!!! My pregnancy is going by super fast too. I cannot wait to see what Evan and Zoe look like, it's awesome that we're due so close to each other. :-) I need to ask my midwife what her thoughts are on cord clamping. I had never heard about the blood draining back into the placenta either. Very weird. I'm waiting until after my u/s next Monday to make up a birth plan. I'd be interested to see yours if you don't mind emailing it to me!

Becky said...

I have never heard of the cord blood going back to the placenta, either.

Personally, I believe the doctors prefer to skip special mom/baby bonding because the quicker they can get that baby off to get their APGAR scores and such, the sooner they can leave.

I say fight for it. It's your baby, and really, they are hired by you to bring that baby into the world and should give every consideration to doing it your way.

I can hardly believe you're already this close. Your pregnancy has flown by.

Kaye said...

I think it is great that you have found a doctor who seems wonderful...willing to listen to your ideas and concerns and really address them. Good for you!

Congrats on getting closer and closer!

Photogrl said...

Under 100 days!?! Eeek! It's going so fast!

Glad to hear that your doc put your mind at ease.