Thursday, May 14, 2009

Issues of the Heart- WITH UPDATE

I don't know what is going on. Maybe I'm dehydrated. Maybe I'm extremely sleep-deprived. Maybe even anemic. Or maybe something else is wrong.

But I keep having heart/chest issues. This is hard for to me to type and open up about because it's been going on for some time now, off and on, and I just really didn't want to talk about this.

A few times when I've gotten up in the morning my heart races, even doing the most menial tasks. It's fine after I take a nap. And then sometimes I feel a pain where the sternum is (middle of chest). It's never my actual heart, more my lungs really. Sometimes it is hard to take a deep breath.

I finally got the courage to call my OB doctor about it yesterday. He told me I should call my regular doctor about this and be seen for tests. Well, unfortunately, I don't have a primary care physician. So I'm awaiting to hear back to see if my OB will refer me to someone for tests.

In the meantime pray. I don't think it is my heart. I'm probably getting dehydrated. I'm trying to stay on top of water and rest today.



Update: my doctor called back to say they referred me to a cardiologist. Now I feel like a total fool for saying anything in the first place because it's probably nothing and I'll spend probably hundreds, if not thousands, on tests that show a perfect heart (well, hopefully perfect!).

I haven't painted in weeks and the fumes are long gone. So I think it has more to do with my mental health affecting me. This did happen when I was about 13 years old but I forgot about it until everyone kept saying, "panic/anxiety attacks" because that is exactly what happened when I was 13.

Oh well. Going to go see the cardiologist anyway, once I get a call from them. Better safe than sorry!

11 comments:

Andrea said...

*HUG* I really hope everything is okay, Joy! I'll be praying for you, that must be really scary. It actually sounds a lot like my anxiety attacks. Keep us updated as soon as have a plan of action or get a diagnosis.

Anne Elizabeth said...

I too think it sounds a lot like an anxiety/panic attacks. I have had those a lot and the symptoms are really similar to what you are describing. I will be praying!

Becky said...

By all means, Joy...get in and see someone right away as it will help to put your mind at ease. The guessing at all the possibilities is enough to drive a pregnant mama crazy.

If you've been doing a lot of painting or sanding and such lately, it could be a bit of athsma. Trust me, that'll give you a pain in the chest and involves nearly all those symptoms you've mentioned.

A few years ago, after a flurry of church 'facelift' painting projects, I got really scared thinking I was having a heart attack, and when I got to the ER, the gal checked me over then listened to my lungs and said, "Honey, you've got asthma." Of course she asked me a bunch of other questions and such, too, and all of my answers confirmed that it was asthma. (I didn't know I even had it prior to that). The albuterol inhaler brought almost instant relief.

You know how when you're pregnant your sense of smell becomes almost bionic? I do believe God made us like that to help keep us moms away from things that could be hard on you and your babies. Toxins. If you've been painting a lot, those fumes and the paint 'curing' in your home can rob you of your breath, too.

Air out the house really well and take it easy for a while, little mama. Projects can wait...even until after the baby is born. Your priority is keeping healthy and strong to grow your baby inside of you and take care of your family. The rest can wait.

I'll be praying.

just me, dawn said...

Sending you a big hug. I too second everyone else, get in to see a doctor :) and it could be a number of minor things causing it, chances are that it is, and the sooner you know, the sooner you will be able to worry less! I am praying it is something minor.
((hugs))

Infertility is Hard said...

Sorry to hear you've been having issues. :-(

I was born with heart issues, so I feel very knowledgeable on the subject. And the good thing is, is these things are usually normal and nothing to worry about.

I wish you luck in getting into someone for tests, and I pray it is nothing. I'll be thinking of you. . .

Amber said...

Praying for you! My best friend had major heart palpatations during her entire pregnancy with her son. She was so scared, but it seemed like her body was just reacting in an odd way to the baby. Like her heart was pumping overtime to keep up with the extra blood supply she needed to take care of baby. Don't be upset. I'm sure it's nothing. :) And even if it is something, God has got you in the palm of His hand. Keep us posted!

Kaye said...

Sorry to hear that you have been having issues and that they have been worrying you. I'll be praying for your health and your sanity until you can know what is really going on. It could be a number of things, as I had something similar happen to me in college that was related to anxiety attacks that exasperated a heart condition that I didn't know I had. Turned out to be something perfectly common, but nothing was helpful to consider until I knew what it was.

God bless!

Susan Sene said...

I've had heart palpatations for a while now. You're right, it's probably nothing but I do feel it's worth the money to to put your mind at ease.

Proverbs 27:19 said...

Hey Joy!

I understand ALL that you are talking about. It's better to say something and it turn out to be nothing than to "ignore" it in fear of feeling like a "fool" and it be something that needs attention.

LORD God, touch Joy in all ways LORD that she may be at ease. In Christ name, Amen.

smooches,
Larie

Ciarin said...

Hope all comes out well - very likely it will but better to be safe than sorry in this particular circumstance :)

The Lynchs said...

Oh goodness - that's no good at all. Although I'm sure at your young, healthy age you're fine, you are most definitely in our prayers. And I know that going to the doctor does suck, but just think how much more relaxed you'll be with good news :)