Friday, April 24, 2009

Feeling Bad!

When I think about all the times my kids don't obey, ask incessant questions over and over (especially when I'm busy), make enormous messes, back-talk, hurt one another...

I start to feel badly!

Because I was the same exact way with my parents.

Mom, Dad--- so sorry you had to put up with me! Now all those nights you "needed a break" made perfect sense. Nothing says, "I UNDERSTAND NOW" then having your own children who seem to naturally replicate exactly how you acted when you were a child.

I was just telling someone the story about how my dad found me na.ked in our neighbor's backyard, swinging away on their swingset, at Butterfly's age. He laughs to tell it now but I'm sure back then he freaked, wondering what pervs were out there watching or how many other parents were shaking their head at him in judgement.

And there were all the times I called 911 when I was a preschooler. And the times I made pets out of slugs and snails and kept them in room. Or the time I cracked eggs into my sister's alarm clock. In fact, I had a strange fascination with eggs! I tried to incubate eggs by laying them in the baskets full of clean laundry and sitting on them.

There were also countless times I got into makeup. One time I put a maxi pad on when I was really young (this was before they had ultra-thins!) because I had seen my mom do it. That one got an enormous laugh at my mom at least! Not to mention the times I threw major fits in the store and my mom would leave her full shopping cart, in tears, and drag us back home.

Then there are the times I did some dangerous things. One of which was sticking my tongue to a frozen pole. Don't ask! I was very young. And I was outside by myself. I got so scared I ripped my tongue off the pole- literally. There was a large chunk of my tongue ripped out of my mouth (and yes, it did grow back, but without taste buds).

Or the time I kicked a neighbor's German Shepherd [on accident] because it walked in front of the swing and the dog bit my leg and I had to go to the ER.

I gave my momma lots of grey hairs.

So this post is dedicated to all the "grandparents" out there. Those times you said, "Just wait... just you wait until you have kids of your own" were greeted with eye rolls. But now they ring true. Thank you for not saying, "I told you so!" Your silent smirks say it enough. Ha ha!



I finally remembered a cute Butterfly saying so I'm adding it here before I forget again. Last Sunday she got to hold her new cousin. I could tell her arms were starting to feel weak from trying to hold his head up so I put my arms under hers to give her support.

I said, "He's heavy, isn't he? Are your arms getting tired?"

She replied, "No, my arms are happy!"

7 comments:

The Mommy said...

The happy arms comment...melted my heart!

Becky said...

awww about the happy arms!

On the grandparent note, my dad takes great delight in reminding me that I was a pain in the bum as a child and this is his time to get even, lol. It's all worth it at the end of the day though

Andrea said...

lol Your childhood self sounds so much like my sister when she was a kid!! Especially the running around naked part. Melissa used to do that all the time when she was little. It was really bad when my mom tore her knee up and had to stay on crutches for a couple of months. She would be hobbling down the road chasing my naked sister through the neighborhood. Poor mom!

Anne Elizabeth said...

That comment she made was so sweet! Need to scrapbook that one for sure:) I was just thinking about the story with the frozen pole the other day. I don't know why but I was.

Becky said...

I blame that 'nesting/incubating egg' thing on Big Bird. Seeing him sitting in that nest on Sesame Street probably prompted many kids to do the exact same thing. It did for me, anyway. My grandma found the 'rotten' egg unhatched weeks after I'd given up on checking it...when it cracked and stunk up her back bedroom, lol.

Awww, LOVED that happy arms comment. So precious.

Kaye said...

What an adorable comment by Butterfly! You just can't teach beautiful sentiments like that one!

Julie said...

Aw, Butterfly's comment is so precious!

I don't remember you sitting on baskets of eggs--that's classic! I remember the other stuff though. You were such a cute little kid. I wonder if Mom thought "you'd be a good mom to boys" because you were such a tomboy? You're much more girly now, but when you were little, you NEVER wanted your hair brushed and you were content to play in the dirt.

Having children is like an out-of-body experience. I feel like I am watching myself grow up through my girls. And boy, do I have a lot of empathy AND sympathy for Mom and Dad!