Thursday, April 16, 2009

Do I HAVE to come up with a title?

Today I noticed something different. First, I'm starting to feel more queasy during breakfast than I had been before. Not really a big deal because for me it seems morning sickness sticks around the first couple weeks into the second trimester.

But I also noticed that I had a lot more energy today... though I currently seemed to have run out of fuel because I'm so tired right now.

A couple nights ago Butterfly and I decided she was ready to wear regular un.dies to bed, instead of pull-ups. When she woke up, dry, she was so proud of herself! And I was beaming. Not because it is less diapers to buy and one less child in a diaper... but because I just felt this swelling of pride that she decided she was ready to try something new and she accomplished it.

So this is the third night she's going to bed without a pull-up. BTW, she hasn't taken naps in diapers for months, just at bedtime because it is a longer stretch and she usually has a glass of water with her (no more water now for obvious reasons!).

Will there probably be mistakes? Sure, maybe! That's what mattress protectors are for... But we're going to focus on the positives and keep encouraging her.

Butterfly is definitely not a person you can push or pressure into something. She will fight and cry if she's not ready- in fact that is true for most children. When it was time to give up the binky it was on her time. When she finally slept in the crib instead of my arms it was on her time. Going potty was on her time. And I don't mind that one bit! I want my children to flourish in their personalities instead of conform to what I think they should be.

Bumble Bee has been pushing her independence. Okay, I guess that's not exactly right. She has been independent since she was a newborn! If she could've made her own bottles and clothed herself I think she would have. Her newest thing is walking up and down the stairs by herself. She'll say, "I do it! I do it!" and push me away.

That's probably one of the biggest differences in my kids. Butterfly loves for me to help her when she's ready, to encourage her and coax her... but Bumble Bee just wants me to root for her from the sidelines and seems ready for anything at any moment.

Okay well I'm just rambling and I'm so tired I could fall over.

5 comments:

The Mommy said...

Congrats on no more pull ups! I hate those things! Muffn only wore them at night and when we went out and only wet once overnight. I used them for a while to avoid an accident, but we never really needed them. Now you can use Pull Up money for baby diapers!

Kaye said...

HOORAY for Butterfly! Such a big girl! Isn't it funny how interesting children can be when you can see such vivid personalities from the get-go. =)

Jennifer said...

I think it's wonderful that you are so in tune with your kids' personalities, and use that information to determine how you parent them. You're the kind of mommy I want to be someday! :)

Glad you have more energy...hope the queasy stomach eases soon.

Mel said...

Glad she is doing so well at night, that is fabulous!!
L is wicked independent, too, its crazy. That is me in her to be sure, but its so weird to see it in a baby. My mom says I was just like that, though. Funny how different we all are, even from so early on!
Glad you are feeling better with more energy. Second trimester was the only time I can remember enjoying my pregnancy... and it seemed so short lived!

Hot Belly Mama said...

Hi, I just happened upon your blog and love it! I am into motherhood, birthing and frugal living too... Can't wait to read more soon.

You and have a very close due date. I am due July 4th.