Monday, March 9, 2009

Week 8? Already?

I feel like it was just yesterday I was posting a week 6 update. Maybe this will go by faster than I thought..? I am writing this at night to post for tomorrow (Tuesday), btw.

Tonight has been the hardest night by far. Forget morning sickness, I have night sickness! The girls were finally in bed and Daniel and I snuggled on the couch and I started to feel really ill. I grabbed some pretzels and water and that calmed things down for a bit. Then I made Daniel get me applesauce to see if that would help (I also needed some fruit and didn't have any today!).

And the thought of taking my pills?! I want to gag and throw up just thinking about it. I take 3 Metformin pills, 1 Prometrium, 1 prenatal, 1 folic acid (I was taking 4 Metformin and a DHA pill but HAD to cut something out). I'm slowly cutting down how much Metformin I take because they make me so sick and you're supposed to stop taking it by week 10-12.

My skin looks awful. My hair is a frizz-ball. I am not feeling very attractive right now but what can you do?! It's worth it to me for a short while. And it furthers my conviction that maybe baby is a girl... I cannot wait to find out!

I am so eager to get in the nursery and paint. I've kept the door shut and locked to keep myself out. I have very specific nursery colors and plans for each gender so I want to know what we're having beforehand instead of breaking down and doing something neutral. Only 2-3 more months before we find out! I'll post a poll probably next month (April).

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This is a tangent but wanted to ask everyone to please sign a petition. My cousin's son, Kaleb, was shaken by his nanny when he was 4-months-old. He was a perfectly healthy, normal baby and is now blind with severe mental and physical disabilities that have rendered him to basically be a baby for the rest of his life. He is now 20-months-old or so and he cannot crawl or even sit up on his own (he's about the same age as Bumble Bee, my youngest daughter).

After 6-months in prison the abuser is seeking to be released and she may get out instead of serving her 7-year-sentence. So I'm just asking that you go to this site and either email the appropriate person (email provided on link) OR to take 20 seconds of your life to enter your name and a comment. We want abusers to know that shaking babies and harming/killing them is not taken lightly!

I don't think people really understand what happens when a baby is shaken (Michaelle, of course you probably understand as you are a nurse). Their brain is basically beaten against their skull and bleeds. The brain/skull fills with fluid and can kill the child. Thankfully they were able to drain Kaleb's skull. But because of all that pressure and lack of oxygen at points, his brain was severly damaged, hence the mental and physical impairments. It also led to him going blind (I don't believe he is 100% blind but is most likely considered legally blind).

If you feel like you're going to lose your cool, baby crying in the crib is not as serious as inflicting harm that could kill them or affect them for life.

And please, keep my cousin's family in your prayers.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/kalebskids/

The mother's name is Caprina (she is my cousin) and this is what my Aunt (her mom) had to say today:

Today's date is March 9, 2009 almost 6 months after our baby Kaleb's Nanny was sentenced to prison. I am not sure if anyone is still reading this or keeping updated on Kaleb. But his struggles are still much the same as they were on Sept. 19, 2008 when Becky was sentenced to 7 years in prison. He still cannot see and is still cannot sit up by himself, he still has tramatic brain damage all because Rebecca Harrris violently shook him, and beat his head against the wall and crib.

It does not seem fair that on April 2 Becky gets a chance for parole. 7 months for a 7 year sentence just does not seem fair since she gave my grandson a life sentence. Kaleb will never be the same. I know that because our adopted son is also a shaken baby at the hands of his birth father. We need everyone's support to make sure Becky does not walk free on April 2. Kaleb will never be free from his injuries.

5 comments:

Susan Sene said...

I'm so sorry to hear about that. It's hard to imagine someone doing that to a precious little baby. I will be praying for your family.

Kat470 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. How awful. :-( I will gladly sign the petition.

Monkey's Momma said...

That child will be in a prison for the rest of his life. She should NOT be let out of prison. She needs to be responsible for her actions.

Before I became a nurse, I worked with children and young adults that had mental retardation and cerebral palsy from being shook, or beat against walls, etc.

Not only are they physically and mentally handicapped, but they usually suffer from seizures, frequent infections and kidney failure.

It is very sad.

Monkey's Momma said...

I signed the petition as Anonymous.

Jess said...

I will sign the petition. I have been following Kaleb's story since it happend and my heart breaks for that little boy. The family is from Florida right? Or is it another little boy named Kaleb? Kaleb will be in prison for the rest of his life and she gets to walk free after 7 months. I personally think she deserves the death penalty!