Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The cricket is chirping... or the grasshopper hopping! Sonogram Update!

Today was my ultrasound. I won't lie- I was so nervous that I was shaky.

When my name was finally called, a peace settled over me. It's funny how that can happen at times. I went to a different room than usual and had a different machine than usual. It was really grainy and hard to see (heck, she couldn't find my right ovary for quite some time).

The first thing to pop up on the screen was a huge black emptiness and my stomach flopped. The technician laughed and said, "That is your bladder! I'm always amazed by how much water people can hold when they tell them to do it." Yeah, thanks. Sigh of relief!

Then, as she moves the doppler around I catch a glimpse of a sac! And finally, my precious little baby, their heart visibly beating away at 157 bpm. I warn you the pictures are not great at all. I think baby's back was to us. I didn't see any arms or legs because the technology of this particular machine wasn't up to par. I was offered a vag. ultrasound to see more clearly but declined. All I cared about was the heartbeat! We'll have another U/S and a 3D U/S later.

Without further boring you to death with my spiel... meet our Cricket or Grasshopper (we only got one picture, so one is cropped):


Other news from the U/S- large cyst on left ovary, most likely ovulation cyst. Again, the machine really stank.

I'm 9 weeks 1 day, which is right on time based on LMP (the picture says 9 weeks 0 days because of that particular measurement of the baby's back).

Due date is October 20, 2009!

The heartbeat being over 140 only solidified my thoughts that baby might be a girl! And Butterfly decided to change her vote over to my side, too, without prompting. Poor Daddy is all alone, vying for a boy!

12 comments:

mommablogsalot said...

Glad baby is strong and healthy - that's all that matters! We found out the gender closer to 20 weeks - there's still plenty of time! :) But yeah the heartbeat is the one "old wives tale" that I buy into so I'd be tempted to agree with you!

Vixbil said...

Such wonderful news, yippee
xx

Becky said...

AAAWWWWW!!!! I am so happy for you Joy. So glad the pregnancy is going so well:)

What a cute little Jellybean!

Andrea said...

YAY!!!! She/he is so cute! I'm so happy for you, Joy. :-)

Antonia said...

During my 1st couple u/s, and when my doctor would listen via doppler before we knew the gender of our baby, I was 100% we were having a girl as well. Baby's heartbeat was solidly and consistantly over 140 as well, sometimes closer to 160. I would tend to think given your other two little ones, that another girl is in your future, however... my certainty that I was having another little girl was met with a huge surprise when, during our 2nd trimester u/s we found out we are having a bouncing baby boy!!! For that matter, even at 36 weeks, which I am now, my son's heart beat typically still ranges in the 140s during rest, with an upward spike into the 150s during accelerations.. I have had a lot of monitoring, so I have really gotten a handle on the trend. I am beginning to think it is just an old wives' tale about baby girls having a faster heart beat than baby boys. Either way, so glad to see your u/s went well..it is always such a wonderful thing seeing that heartbeat for the first time!! Congratulations and I hope things continue to go smoothly and well for you and baby!!!

Becky said...

Yaaaaaaaaay!

So excited for you guys!

Kaye said...

I've been tuning in today for an update on how your U/S went. I'm so very excited for you!

Congrats one more time!

The Mommy said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! I alwayf seel so relieved to see hear the baby's heartbeat.
Congratulations!

Anne Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad the U/S went well:) I still think Boy! The BPM is what both my boys first BPM was:)

Monkey's Momma said...

That is so awesome! I am so happy for you!

Tasha Via said...

OOH, so exciting! Praise the Lord for a beautiful, strong heartbeat=)

Kim said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! I was due in October as well, and dispite what everyone tells you, the summer is agreat time to be pregnant...hello flip flops!!!