Monday, December 8, 2008

We have some good news... FINALLY!

Before I get to the good stuff--- we weighed in on Saturday. Daniel has cut back on portions and is eating smaller meals throughout the day instead of one big dinner at night. He also did my workout video with Jillian ONCE. He lost 3 1/2 lbs. Yay Daniel!!!

But Joy? Who always eats right and smaller portions? The girls who slaves over her workout video? Yup, gained one pound. ARG!!!!!

Onto the good stuff before I burst. Okay, so I gave myself a deadline to find a new doctor today. Well because I love the hospital that I've delivered at my heart was torn between traveling to a nearby city or staying at the hospital. No, I did NOT decide to stay with Dr. I-Don't-Know-How-To-Treat-This. I'm moving one floor down, people. (There's more than one OBGYN group at the hospital I love.)

I'm going BACK to my previous OBGYN. Now obviously this may not excite you just yet but wait until you hear me gloat about this guy. AND the entire staff. First, he has held my mom-in-law's hand through her cancer. He is the one who was there, gave her discounts on her medical care, and has kept her alive for 8 years when they said she should've died.

He is the one who saw me through my pregnancy with Butterfly (he didn't end up delivering her but his colleague did). His staff called me and cried with me when I miscarried the first time. They were just on top of their game.

Oh, and when you call you get to a LIVE person within 2 or 3 rings. This is not an automated service where you hit 4 to leave a message and cross-your-fingers-that-someone-calls-you-back-sometime-in-the-next-48-hours kind of service. But an actual person picks up and says, "_____ Women's Healthcare, how can I help you?"

You know those movies where someone is dancing in a flowy dress in a field of buttercream flowers, with the sun setting in the background? That's how I feel right now! I'm so thrilled I can hardly stand it. This is the most gentle doctor, too. When he does internal exams I do NOT feel it (I feel pain with other doctors).

So here is my list of PROS and CONS:

PROS:
-Many years of medical expertise
-GENTLE hands
-In the past he's offered me 50% off prenatal care (read below for details)
-He has listened to me and worked with me in the past (for example we don't personally believe in birth control and instead of pushing it on us, he let us do the Natural Family Planning method we had chosen).
-His nurses are always the most caring and sweet people ever (who return calls within an HOUR)

CONS:
-He's a man and sometimes doesn't always "get" certain things
-He's one of the most sought-after physicians that I'm aware of so he's usually booked and you wait a long time in the waiting room

The CONS list isn't even a problem for me. I've been a patient of his before and I bawled my eyes out when I had to leave. Oh, so you might be wondering why I did leave?! After my miscarriage in 2006 I got pregnant with Bumble Bee right away. Well at my first prenatal appointment the receptionist tells me, "You owe us $___" and I just gawked at her (I think it was a couple hundred).

I asked her why. She said that I didn't have prenatal coverage and had to pay out-of-pocket before Dr. S would see me, that it was just the office policy. Well his nurse came to my rescue and pulled me into a room. The nurse and their billing lady helped me try to figure everything out. Turns out I had signed a paper stating I would not receive prenatal coverage for 2 years in order to get a really low premium. His nurse even said she'd write, "Annual Pap" on my billing stuff instead of "Prenatal Pap" so that I wouldn't be billed the entire thing.

I was just crying my eyes out in the office. He came in and patted my hand and said it would all be okay. He offered me 50% off prenatal coverage and I said I'd have to go home and talk about it with hubby. At that point in our lives we couldn't afford it even at the discount. So I got on Medicaid, which his office didn't accept.

Enter new doctor here. She was fine up until Bumble Bee's delivery (where her collarbone snapped). In retrospect maybe she always allowed me to dictate what I wanted because she had no clue what to do herself. ??? I'll never know. 'Cause I ain't nevah goin' back!

Okay, do you see why I'm so excited? I'm going to have a knowledgeable, grand-fatherly type doctor who is gentle and is going to listen to me and make a wonderful plan with me.

And just to add one last thing- his nurse called me back within 20 minutes of my calling. She listened to me ramble on about why I wanted to switch. Without a question she said, "You're still in our system. We'll get you seen this week and we'll have you transfer your papers to our office. I'm going to talk to Dr. S and see exactly what he wants to do from here." She was horrified by the lack of care at the other place. When I told her they were the office one floor up she guffawed!

I had to go run errands and Daniel said she called when I got back. She called me back! Twice in one day! You see? That's called CARE. That is called service. That is what I'm paying people for, you know?! And do you know what her name is? Her name is Elena (spelling?)!!! See, everyone with that name is sweet, ha ha!

I'm off to dance in a field of flowers under the sunset. HUGS AND KISSES! Mwuah, mwuah!

7 comments:

Megan @ Little Bella Bean said...

I am SO happy you found a good Dr! And that it is the old one you trust that you get to go back to! Praise the Lord!
Smiles =)
Megan

The Mommy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Mel said...

That's really great, congratulations! I am glad you feel so good about your decision, too. I was very reluctant to see a man for anything related to my OBGYN or fertility needs, but I was an absolute fool because the 2 I wound up with have been the best doctors I've ever had.
Good luck.
*hugs*

Andrea said...

I'm so glad that you've found another doctor! And it's great that you have a good past with him, too! No wondering if it's going to work out or if he'll be any better than the doctor you were going to. That's great! I can't wait to hear about how your appointment goes :-)

Ris said...

I am so excited to hear this! Yay! What great news. Nothing better than a dr you trust!

And you prob arent losing weight because you are working out. It always seems like working out the first month or two makes you gain weight, but it's muscle, sister! You are doing the right thing and it will pay off!

Julie said...

I gotta ask.....why did you switch away from this doctor in the first place?? Maybe you told me once but if so, I forgot. Well, I hope the doctor takes good care of you or I'm coming down there to pack you all up, steal you and move you home in the middle of the night!

Lisa said...

Yay Joy, just plain yay!! I chuckled when I read "cause I ain't nevah goin' back!" lol. Where are you from?!! You sound like an old Mainer! Again, Yay yay yay. :)