Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Jillian, PLEASE!

I am begging you, Jillian... ease up! I'm going to die if you don't stop!!! UGH! Can I just say that Jillian (from B.iggest L.oser) has a 20 minute workout and it KICKED my arse? Seriously that chick is a bulldog even through a DVD. I'd be scared to have her as a trainer IRL.

Oh, oh, oh! I have got some news for y'all. Last night Daniel comes to me and is very serious. My stomach instantly knotted. "Joy, I need to talk to you..." Can I just say I felt like throwing up on him? I thought he was going to say something awful like he's cheating on me or wanted a divorce or something. That is HOW serious he was.

"Joy, honey, I need to lose weight."

I gave him a good punch in the arm! I thought it was going to be something awful. So we started talking about it. He gave me permission to be absolutely strict and evil about food (YES!).

Well the problem with both of us is that motivation is a huge issue. Neither of us remains motivated long enough to stick to a plan. I had watched B.iggest L.oser earlier and that got some wheels turning in my head.

Introducing...

YOU'RE GOING DOWN........ several sizes!

Oh yes people, it is on! Daniel and I have a competition in effect this morning. For every pound lost $1 is added to a pot (err--- it's really a jar). For every week we don't eat out $10 is added to the pot. For every month we don't eat out another $10 is added as well as $10 per week. Every day we don't eat a dessert $.50 a person is added to the pot.

FIRST PERSON TO LOSE 50 lbs will WIN THE POT of $$$!

I figure if those TV shows can manipulate people with money than we can totally manipulate ourselves with money too!

If Daniel wins (HUGE IF- ha!) then he wants to get a tattoo. Personally I'd buy skinny clothes. He'd probably end up buying clothes, too, though!

We also have a list of penalties and a list of rules. Must drink 8 glasses of water a day or a $1 is taken out of pot. If you miss a meal $5 is taken out of the pot (no skipping meals unless fasting for religious reasons), etc., etc.

This has been a huge motivator and Daniel and I are playfully bantering. A lot of people keep reminding me that men lose faster than woman and we're not being fair to one another. But Daniel can't workout and I can, so we figure that evens things out!

Here's our written up challenge (penalties listed on another page and I made charts for us for each month to keep track of exercise, junk food intake, weigh-ins, etc.):


You’re Going DOWN…
…several sizes!


OBJECTIVE:
First person to lose 50 lbs wins grand prize
Second person to lose 50 lbs will win consolation prize

Grand Prize- money from pot* toward what they wish
Consolation Prize- $50 to spend on clothes

*Each pound lost adds $1 to the pot

GUIDELINES:
1. Portion control! One serving, no seconds!
2. More fruits and vegetables
3. Water (drop the soda, tea, coffee, etc.)
4. No starvation- must eat 3 meals a day
5. Exercise as able, at least 5 days a week
6. Make healthier choices (yogurt, cottage cheese instead of mac-n-cheese)

BONUS:
1. No fast food in a given week by will earn $10 bonus to the pot
2. No fast food in a month will add an extra $10 on top of the $10 per week for a total of $50-60
3. No dessert a day adds $.50 to the pot

EXCEPTIONS:
Holidays and birthdays are exempt from the guidelines though no money can be added to pot (i.e. dessert).

Penalties result in loss of $1 from pot, regardless of weight lost

7 comments:

Becky said...

That sounds SO good. I might just get Kumar to do something similar with me. (Although he only has a few kilos to lose, unlike me) It looks like more fun then exercising alone:)

Andrea said...

How fun! Now I'm wanting to do something like that with Matt. We don't need to lose weight, but we definitely need to improve our diets. I've tried to improve mine and exercise more since TTC, but I've really slacked off the past several months. It's hard when you're doing it alone! And I was going to say, surely you aren't going to take penalties for Christmas dinner and desserts!!

Oh yeah, and once Matt scared me just like that. It really freaked me out! It wasn't long after the m/c and I thought he was going to say he wanted to leave me because of how depressed I was and not cleaning/cooking when he said we needed to sit and talk about something. lol! He just wanted to talk about his plans for the week or something...nothing serious at all.

Julie said...

I LOVE it! Way-to-go, guys for being so creative and getting motivated! I was chuckling as I read your post cause I think it is SO COOL! I can't wait to hear how this goes!

Lisa said...

See, now you've done what I think is almost the hardest part....TOLD PEOPLE! We all will be watching you Joy, and I personally am in the Girls' Corner! My husband and I could stand to lose 50 lb.s each too, so do we have your permission to copy your plan, and do it too?! I'll have to see what he thinks... it definitely helps when your mate is just as into it as you are! Good luck!! And oh, you didn't say anything about it although you might be aware of it, but eat lots of fiber! It works in the plus for your body, helps those I'm Starving moments, and there are many ways to get plenty of it! What dvd by 'Jillian' do you have?

kMo said...

This is such an awesome idea!! I'm so competitive I would HAVE to win. Unfortunately (for me) my husband has the worlds fastest metabolism so I'm always struggling on my own.

As a new year's resolution my husband and I decided not to eat at fast food restaurants (not subway though) or chain restaurants (applebees/chili's/red lobster) and now I haven't had those in almost two years! It's hard at first but after a while you don't crave that kind of food anymore. Plus we're supporting the local scene when we do go out to eat.

Good Luck!

The Mommy said...

I think keeping track of this through your blog will help you to stay motivated. I hope you both have great success. I lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and kept it off for 2 years...before getting preggers with Maggie. It's hard work, but worth it!

Jess said...

My husband and I are doing the same thing. Our bet is a little different rather than money, we are letting the winner chose our 5 year Anniversary trip...we can never agree on where we want to go! He is beating me so far, but I think that is due to the fact that I have been losing weight for months, and he just started!

Did anyone win? I know you did with the baby! :)